Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

OK Got the R/T - Which Hitch for a 2500lb boat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Trep
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK Got the R/T - Which Hitch for a 2500lb boat?

Gang - I won't see it for 3 weeks till I return from overseas business, but Wife bought me an early birthday present - 2006 Magnum R/T Inferno Red!

So, in a month or so i'll be ordering and having installed a trailer hitch so I can tow my boat to the lake. From researching here and other places, I've seen the truly hidden Dodge class III hitch and the standard non-hidden one. My question is if you were going to tow a 17ft fishing boat which hitch would have the most stability and least clearance issue on steep ramps/roads? I realize my R/T is not a Ram 1500 so I will have to be careful and slow up/down ramps and driveways, but from your experience is the hidden hitch (which looks invisible with out the receiver bar) or the regular gonna be better??

Also, I assume I need to call a dealer back home to check which of the option packages this specific R/T came with, and specifically if it has the Tow Prep package. I've looked on a bunch of sites for VIN decoders but it seems non can confirm/deny the tow package??

[img]http://www.nitroowners.com/~library/882/new%20car.jpg[img]

Last edited by Trep; 08-08-2008 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:44 PM
65standard
All Star

if the fourth digit of the VIN is a "G" on your RWD 2006 magnum R/T, then it has the factory tow prep group. i would get the dodge hidden hitch from the dealer.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Trep

65standard - THANKS, it does have a G in the 4th digit in the VIN! WOO HOO!!

OK on the hidden hitch, i'll have her taken into Dodge in October and get it hook up.

I'll post more pictures when I get to see her myself!

Trep

Old 08-09-2008, 11:25 PM
65standard
All Star

the AWD model will also have the G in the fourth digit of the VIN and NOT have the tow group. you do have a RWD version?

Old 08-10-2008, 03:43 AM
Trep

No its RWD not AWD, but I noticed on Yahoo Autos (which offers a lot of free Car Fax reports and provides the VIN numbers of the cars they sell) that all the RWD R/Ts have G in the 4th Digit?? They can't all have the tow group can they?

Man Wish I was back home and could just take her in or call the dealer on "normal" time :-)

Old 08-10-2008, 11:41 AM
65standard
All Star

the fourth digit is for the GVWR

F = 4100 - 5000lbs
G = 5100 - 6000lbs

i have the trailer tow group on my magnum and i have the "G" in the fourth digit. the best way to tell if you have the tow package is to look at the rear shocks.

on the Nivomat self leveling rear shocks, there is a solid 3/4" rod welded between the shock tube and the lower mounting eyelet.

on the regular rear shocks, the lower mounting eyelet is welded directly to the shock tube.

look at your rear shock to be sure.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:49 AM
65standard
All Star

here is a picture of the Nivomat self leveling rear shock.

Last edited by 65standard; 08-21-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Trep

Thanks again Tony! I'll be back in the states in 2.5 weeks, i'll crawl under her and check it out for myself then.

Let you know after I see the rear end.

Trep

Old 08-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Trep

OK got a hold of the Dodge dealer in my hometown, he confirmed that my R/T HAS the tow prep package from the factory!! WOO HOO!! Yeah baby!!

OK now Just gotta decided if I want the hidden hitch, but would have to buy/install the weight distributing equipment on my boat trailer, or do I go with the 3500lb clas III non-hidden hitch which doesn't require the weight distributing equipment on my boat trailer. Man I love the look of the hidden hitch from you guys, but having to adapt more stuff to my trailer is a pain, but then it will look MUCH better down the road!

Quick Reply: OK Got the R/T - Which Hitch for a 2500lb boat?