Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

SE or SXT (RWD)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Lyle SXT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE or SXT (RWD)

Hi,

My apologise if this has been brought up before. I had a look back through the pages and didn't find anything to help me with my question.

We're looking to pick up a Magnum sometime within the next month. So far we've test drove an SXT (RWD). Here in Canada the SXT is about 3 to 4 grand more than the SE. I'd like to get a chance to test drive an SE, but there arn't many around. So far I've heard plenty of reviews on the SXT being a good package, and I've also heard that the SE is quite underpowered. I've noticed many on this board are into the power that the Magnum has to offer (nothing wrong with that - in fact I'm as power hungry as the next person). We would mostly use this car around town and have the occational highway trip. I have a 60's muscle car (not finished yet), that will be my power machine, so we're not really in need of a speed machine. I'm totally head-over-heels in love with the looks of the Magnum, so the drive-train is not my biggest concern. And if I can save a few grand (which can be put into my muscle car) then I'm all into that. But I need to know, with the SE having the smallest engine, am I going to totally regret not going for the SXT. The only real time I'll need power is when passing on the highway. Having 2 younger kids in tow, I'll never drive it hard.

Thoughts??

Tilt

Old 02-04-2005, 08:02 PM
shiltz
Captain
Default RE: SE or SXT (RWD)

I think you would regret getting the SE, honestly haven't driven one myself but I don't think i've ever seen anyone say they were happy with it, it's just horibly underpowered for the size and weight of the car, and from what i've read they are actualy dropping the 2.7 for the 2006 model as people simply don't want them.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:14 PM
Black RT
Professional

Hi>>I have a magnum RT>>>but I have test driven the SXT and it is a nice ride>>>SE is under powered>>>I think I have read that the 2006 SXT may have a 5 speed transmission that would be nice>>>>get the SXT with the options you need and you want go wrong>>>>

Buddy in KY

Old 02-04-2005, 08:21 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

Also be aware that the SE uses 87 octane gas and the SXT and RT both use 89 octane gas.

I would get the SXT..............I own the RT

Bob

Old 02-04-2005, 09:59 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

The Base MSRP for the SE is $22,870 and the SXT Base MSRP is $26,670. I'd still go with the SXT even though it's more expensive because you only get a 2.7-Liter DOHC 24-Valve V6 MPI Engine in the SE and a 3.5-Liter High-Output 24-Valve V6 MPI Engine in the SXT. That 3.5 Liter is king compared to that little 2.7 Liter.

-Matt-

Old 02-04-2005, 10:19 PM
via500
Professional

Can you test drive a Chrysler 300? It's the same car, a Magnum might weigh a bit more but you'll get the idea of the engine. I just had a plain-jane 300 rental and I wrapped the engine up quite often. It is noticeably buzzy, jerks on downshifts which were constant and in general the engine is no way as smooth as my RT but it did get going in traffic - well with FOF. If you are looking for absolute value I could reccomend an SE. But if you do have the money the SXT is worth it. BTW I'm real glad to have my RT back!

Old 02-04-2005, 10:25 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Can you test drive a Chrysler 300?
Yes. You can test drive just about every Chrysler/Dodge model(s) excluding the Viper.....unless they know you've serious about purchasing it.

-Matt-

Old 02-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Lyle SXT
Professional

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

I talked to a salesperson at one of our local Dodge Dealerships. He's going to contact me when an SE comes in. We'll take it for a test drive to see HOW underpowered it is. If it can't hold its weight, then we'll probably get the SXT.

Like I said before, we're not looking for a high performer here.....just a nice ride that has the room a small family requires.

Tilt

Old 02-06-2005, 12:28 AM
MagnumClub

Tilt, I heard a manager from Dodge give a presentation in which he stated they were aware at the factory that the SE was too underpowered and expect less than 15% of all Magnums sold to be the SE model. The SE is positioned as a fleet (rental) vehicle and to help bring down the Magnum's average vehicle cost (probably helps with Corporate Average Fuel Economy as well). Also, I don't think the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) is available on the SE which you may consider if safety is a critical factor.

www.magnumownersclub.com

Old 02-06-2005, 03:05 AM
MattRobertson
Professional

Basically the SE is a great car to send a kid off to college with. As was stated, the SE is positioned for fleet sales but I think the kid-to-college analogy is a good one.

I drove an SXT in an extended test drive and found it to be a comparable performer to my 2000 Camry v6; which I considered to be a surprisingly hot car for what it was. For the 4000lb+ Magnum to match the 3000 lb Camry in performance (the match in acceleration was effectively identical in my seat-of-the-pants dyno testing) I thought that was really impressive. Plus it stuck to the ground like glue.

The thing I've heard SXT owners say, though, is they *hate* "that question". No it doesn't have a hemi in it. You'll be giving that hang-dog answer for the next few years.

If you are willing to spend some effort you can buy an RT in a region of the country where the allocation of RT's is in disgusting surplus (compared to around here, where they are as rare as hens' teeth) which means dealers will deal...

Ther ain't no such thing as too much power... and the SXT doesn't get hardly any better mileage than the RT in the real world.