Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

ipod stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 05:14 PM
gotls1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ipod stereo question

I should probably preface this question with the statement that I have no idea what I'm doing stereo-wise, so if this is a stupid question, be gentle.

The Magnum that I'm considering buying has the Nav/6 disk changer that I'd rather not replace, but I'd like to use my Ipod. I don't like those FM modulators though. So here was my big idea. Could a switch be installed between the head unit and the amp and splice a line in for the Ipod? So you would effectively be choosing the input to the amp from either the headunit or the Ipod. Does that sound possible?

Thanks,
M

Old 02-11-2005, 07:21 PM
chrisuscga01
Professional
Default RE: ipod stereo question

welcome to the party....I am having the same prob. I just bought a PIE for my Sirius Sat and for my IPOD but it is not compatible. So hardwiring would be the only other option than the FM mod right now. And that is only if you know how which i don't. I am giving up and putting in a new head unit.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:38 PM
chefboyrlee
Professional

i'm not sure of the company, but someone is making ipod interfaces that work with stock stereo equipment. check www.ipodlounge.com . like all magnum aftermarket equipment, there isnt one out yet that works with our car. i think if enough of us request they make the interface for our stereo, they may make one. i cant wait, so i'm changing my headunit.

p.s. fm modulator sux! more annoying than it is convenient.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:53 AM
sspotts

This is what I'm looking for myself, but I want something that uses the radio interface to control the iPod. Something like this:

http://oem-auto-accessory.com/crip_0...odge_jeep.html

Unfortunately, this doesn't work with '05 models. I heard that it also makes you disconnect your Sirius tuner, too. Obviously, that's not optimal.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:30 PM
FlatEric
Veteran

I tried the transmitter with my IPod Mini, with real strong batteries it worked until you turned the first corner, then you change frequencies (4 in all), and wait until the next direction change, when it fades again, or I should say, is overpowered by some distant weak station. If the battery is a few hours old, forget it. I threw the thing in the trash.

The I tried the thing here http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=186782

It goes into the cig lighter, has a goose neck to put it where ever you want, (looks pretty cool) and since it runs off 12 V, the transmitter is very powerful and never fades out. You can pick ANY frequency you want, with 4 that you can save as presets.

I love my Mini, except for the damn software you have to use to get songs onto it. My old MP3 player was just drag and drop the songs into the MUSIC folder and you were done.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:06 PM
kowalcs
Professional

The radio you have in the car is an MP3 player as well. Why not transfer all of your MP3's onto a few CD's and play them from there. Sounds like a lot of up front work, but would be worth it in the future. Then, no need for your ipod in the car. Sound reasonable?

Old 12-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Flash Gordon

I went with the MP3 CD approach, and it is working...for now.

I have over 5000 songs on my ipod, so I really want to get an interface into the OEM radio. I have the integrated Nav, and at the time I bought the car (a month ago), I was told there is a factory interface in development. Reportedly, it will be housed in the glove box and the radio controls will work. Of course, this came from a salesperson, so it is probably about 1% accurate.

Quick Reply: ipod stereo question