Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Track day

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 03:09 AM
Hoefi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Track day

ORIGINAL: Pentagon Magnum

ORIGINAL: Hoefi

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about a road racing track. The plan is to run at Portland International Raceway in Oregon State during the first weekend of March. The track is not that slow (they run Indy cars there) and I would guess a Hemi could probably reach 120+mph on the straight and close to 100 mph in other sections between the corners. Slowing the 4200-lbs. car is my concern. All the other cars I have taken before were at least 1,000 pounds lighter and they all had pretty good brakes. I am just wondering if the OEM pads and fluid on the Hemi can take the heat generated in 20-minute sessions.

Joe

Joe,
You from Portland I take it? I think you're the first Oregonian I've heard of on this site!
I want to race my RT also...if you go to PIR in March, let me know how it goes. I'll be out of town the first few weeks in March so I'll probably go later in the year.
I drove down highway 53 (off Hwy 26) near the coast and it took 20 minutes to do the 18 miles...put the Magnum through some heavy testing on that very curvy road and it performed marvelously without brake fade.

Todd

Todd,

I will be running at PIR again on Friday, June 24. If you are interested, info on the event can be found here, http://www.oregonpca.org/DriverEd/driver_ed.htm .

I will be changing over to Motul 600 brake fluid for the event. Still having problem finding higher temp pads.

Joe

Old 06-29-2005, 02:04 AM
Hoefi

Great day at PIR. Oregon chapter of PCA (Porsche Club of America) was co-hosting the event with the local BMW Club. Two drivers came by in the afternoon and said they could not believe how fast the Magnum was on the track.

Brakes still suck. Had to drive right thru Turn 1 on one lap since I couldn't slow the car enough to make the corner (slowing from 115mph to about 40mph). I did put two wheels off the pavement at turn 6, but it was entirely my own fault and not the car's.

Came across this video today, it was taken at VIR earlier this month. For those of you who wants to see what it is like driving on the track, this might not be a good example.

http://jeffsweb.net/viperattack.php

Joe

Old 06-29-2005, 12:55 PM
billapex
Professional

Tire Rack lists that they have Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads, front and rear, in stock for the Magnum RT. I don't have any experience with Akebono pads, but one of the benefits they list is "High resistance to fade with fast recovery." It might be worth a call to Tire Rack to see if Akebonos are much of an upgrade over stock. Looks like they're $77 for the front and $66 for the rear. Might be a cheap experiment!
Oh, and Holy Mother of Soiled Underwear! Having opentracked for about 15 years, I can't say that I've ever had someone shoot across the track right in front of me like that. It must've been terrifying for the driver!

Old 06-30-2005, 12:55 AM
Hoefi

Thanks for the info re Tirerack. I will give them a call.

Joe

Old 06-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Pentagon Magnum
Rookie

I've been BUSY lately, but finally got back here...Joe, I'm sorry I missed the track event June 24th- would have loved to been there (although, I may have shown what the difference between an experienced driver like yourself compared to an inexperienced one like myself is with the same car)!
I'll be driving up to Seattle Pacific Raceway (from Portland) to drive with some other 300's and Magnums on a one day course with ProFormance race school on July 11th. It's meant to teach about how to handle the car in more aggressive driving situations, but probably not meant for experienced road track racers. There are still openings for anyone interested. E-mail me and I'll get you the info to get the event discount.
Thanks for all the info on everyone's track experiences...it's good to know in advance.

Old 07-01-2005, 05:27 AM
Hoefi

Proformance is a good school, I am sure you will enjoy the event.

Pacific Raceway (aka SIR before the new ownership) is more dangerous than PIR for a beginner. It has quite a bit of elevation changes compare to PIR, which is basically flat. PR also has less run off room in most corners, especially on the back side. When you go downhill (turn 2 and 3), make sure you don't overdrive since it takes more distance to slow down. Turn 5 and 6 ate a lot of cars over the years. They changed the front straight a few years ago and I have never driven it with the new configuration. Apparently, they slowed it down by putting an extra kink at the end of the straight by using the pit road. With the new kink, they might have shifted all the corner numbers by one.

Don't forget to give us a report when you get back.

Have fun, and keep the shiney side up.

Joe

Old 07-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Pentagon Magnum
Rookie

Nice to know, Joe. I'm pretty conservative with my Magnum when I don't know the terrain, so hopefully shiney side will stay up! Can't wait to get screamin' out there...I'll give a full report when I get back.

Quick Reply: Track day