Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Trip using dino oil and Mobil 1 and MPG

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005 | 04:48 PM
Scott
Default RE: Cold weather behavior of Syn Oil

ORIGINAL: 356MAGNUM

While living in Minot ND . . . IMO out about the easy flow of Syn on cold days, looking at oil pressure gauge of different vehicles that I have owned (Dodge was so nice NOT to includes it on the Magnum)
If you have the electronics convenience group, oil pressure can be displayed. Depress both inner lower buttons on the steering wheel for 6 seconds. Another set of screens of data will be available. Scroll using the up/down arrow buttons on the steering wheel.

Regarding cold flow -- with a previous vehicle I changed from dino to syn during below zero temps and was impressed by how much faster the starter could spin the engine to start. The syn oil allowed the starter to spin the motor like it used to with dino oil when the temp 30-40 degrees higher. I did not have the opportunity to do the same test with the Magnum, but this effect is well known. Given that we live in areas where it can become dangerously cold, syn oil is great way to ease the effect of cold weather and improve safety.

Scott

Old 03-25-2005 | 12:52 AM
356MAGNUM
|
Record Breaker

I didnt get any of the fancy electronic options with the Magnum. I was in a hurry to get rid of the '02 Ram that was sucking the cash out of my wallet.(11mpg). IMO oil pressure is a vital piece of info that should be always shown. I guess just another way to get more $$$.

Old 03-25-2005 | 02:03 AM
356MAGNUM
|
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: dodgemech

In all fairness, there really isn't anything HO about the HO 3.5.

Agreed that some items the manufacterer provides seem overpriced however have you noticed that the OE stuff like radios for instance "match" the factory interior much better than the generic replacements. They are also tied into the buss network for diagnostics that the generic is not. You are not paying for the headunit but for the entire system that it was incorporated to work with and the R&D nesessary to make it all work in harmony. Sucks but the alterantive does not look nearly as nice IMO. I am kind of a fanatic about fit&finish.
Getting 250hp/250ft# out of a 3.5L seems pretty good to me. The 4.7L in the Ram was rated at 235hp/300ft#. Numerically thats 71.43hp and 71.43ft# per liter in the 3.5L vs 50hp and 63.83Ft# of the 4.7L. Granted it is comparing apples and oranges(car vs truck engine). The rpm specs of the 3.5/4.7 is 6400/4400rpm for HP is not a fair comparison, but the 3500rpm of the 3.5 and 3800rpm of the 4.7L is a more fair comparison for Torque. IMO the true grunt of an engine is in its torque ratings. In the new Mustang GT has 4.6L V-8 rated 300hp@5750 and 320ft#@4500rpm. Thats 65.22hp and 69.57ft# per liter. Heck going by numbers if 2 additional cyliders were added to the 3.5 making it a 4.7 [(3.5/6)*8)] it would be 336hp/336ft#. Even the Hemi 5.7L is rated 340hp/390ft# that makes it 59.65hp and 68.42ft# per liter. I did the calcs of hp or torque/engine size in liters. (250/3.5=71.43) But im sure that PLENTY of engineering factors affect the numbers like rotating mass and internal friction etc etc etc affect the numbers. Otherwise there would be HO 4.7L. To me numerically the 3.5L is a more efficent engine and a Higher Output per liter of anything I used as an example. Just my way of thinking about it.

And true the replacements may not look as good as the factoy(but the stocker still looks cheap as hell). Too bad I couldnt take the guts from the Alpine and match it to the faceplate of the stocker. I still haven't grasp the need for the stereo to be put on the buss. I need a computer to tell the radio that the ignition is off and the head lights are on? Aftermarker can do this by 2 wires and not a computer. It'snot all that hard to troubleshoot a stereo system. Now granted this is for a plain stereo system without all the NAV stuff. And im sure that the buss need comes more appearent in that type of system. I feel that the cars are going way too computerized. I guess I'm too much of an old dog to feel the need to tell me where I am and where the next gas station is hahah.

Whew this dragged on, well everyone have a good day! For the hotrodders(R/T) keep burning up the road, but be safe!

Quick Reply: Trip using dino oil and Mobil 1 and MPG