Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Just a thought...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 01:53 AM
old Bob N.E. CA
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a thought...

OK,

I hope you all don’t take this wrong. Just saying what I think.
I have been on this site for about a month. At first I found good info regarding the Dodge Magnum.

Now I see bickering between members, and most putting stupid little mods that are only personal to those doing it.
I don’t think that the majority of Magnum owners could care less about your wheel changes, or silly mods to your air intake etc.

It seems that most new Magnum owners may have been previous owners of “rice burners”, adding dragons, wheels, fart mufflers, and various doodads to make them feel they have a real car.

Myself, I buy a car that the manufacturers create for the buying public. Then, after having the car for awhile, I try to improve on what the factory left off and I would like to improve on. If the car, stock, will go 120 mph, and accelerate 0 to 60 in six, what more do you want?. It is hard to go fast nowadays without getting caught by the Highway Patrol.

I had a 5.0 Mustang GT that would really fly. Got caught over Donner Summit, at only 73 mph and cost me $250, and three days of drivers school.

I want a Magnum Hemi just to know I can do it when I want to, when I feel safe in doing so.
Today is not like when I was in my 20’s. Consequences are much more severe.
What think you?

Bob

Old 03-13-2005, 02:05 AM
stboden
Rookie
Default RE: Just a thought...

I think bickering sucks.

I also think you mistake what a forum is for (in a polite and nice way ). The forum is to share your car, pass information, enjoy others cars, and give tips. I enjoy seeing what the modding community is doing. I enjoy seeing what other people are doing to their cars whether I like it or not. We are proud of our cars and there is nothing wrong with showing it off to a community of other Magnum owners.

Old 03-13-2005, 02:26 AM
old Bob N.E. CA
Rookie

Scott,

Thanks for your reply. Your red Magnum and those wheels look great. (is that inferno red?). I have not yet received my Mag. Ordered it 12/6/04. Maybe I am getting a little disgruntled waiting for my baby to arrive.

Old 03-13-2005, 02:28 AM
MARKR54
Rookie

I SECOND THAT .....

Old 03-13-2005, 02:35 AM
Danko

Old Bob is right about things being more severe. When younger, points on my record meant nothing until I got to 12. Now, the state is threatening me at 6 and says if I hit 7 I have to pay hundreds of bucks. My insurance company is going nuts to raise my rates because I have 2 tickets. Hell, I used to get two tickets in one night!!!

Old 03-13-2005, 05:47 AM
StatueMan
Rookie

I somewhat agree with Old Bob... I spent a lot of time reading posts here but cut back as I realized that some folks don't seem to appreciate the difference between making an improvement and compromising safety. And there's a few folks that seem to be missing a "search the web" function on their keyboard. In addition, a few "posters" seem to be former rice burner jockeys. But post away! I'll just read less.
As to tickets, insurance, etc...welcome to "1984"...er...2005. I could never afford a really fast car in my "gear head" days but managed to rack up my fair share or "loud pipes", "careless and imprudent" (read: breaking traction), and speeding citations. I don't recall ever having insurance problems. A different time. I've gotten a ticket here in Germany since being back via photo radar for doing 58 kph in a 50 kph (do the conversion and math and you'll note the error factor) but it cost me about $18.00. In the US, it's all about financing gov and special interests (Insurance companies)...it's basically a road tax. Notice how many people are pulled over for running in the left hand lane all day or who tint their tail lights black (my pet peeve), etc...
Ok, I feel better now...

Old 03-13-2005, 01:47 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

Being about the age of OldBob, I tend to agree with him, or is it that us senior citizens think alike?

I can't remember when I got my last driving ticket, it must be over 25 years ago. I am not saying that I haven't broken any traffic laws, I just am more careful about when and where I do it. I have always had a heavey right foot, have had my RT up to 120 MPH and that was good enough for then. I still want to hit the magic 130 number, my 96' Chevy Impala SS did a 150 MPH - just take my word for it. :-)

I have not had any traffic accidents either for a long time, my last accident happened when I was stopped at a red light..........semi truck backed up and hit me (twice).

I can't leave any car I buy stock, I always end up making changes to make it go faster or handle better. I always use the stock rims that came with the car, I can't see spending money for just new wheels. Okay, I did buy one set of new mag wheels in my life, they were for a 67' Chevy Camaro that my son and I rebuilt.

Let's end the bickering between members and concentrate on the cars.

That's what we are all here for...................................

Bob (old in Florida)

Old 03-14-2005, 12:04 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: old Bob N.E. CA

Myself, I buy a car that the manufacturers create for the buying public. Then, after having the car for awhile, I try to improve on what the factory left off and I would like to improve on.
I was just wondering what mods you are thinking about doing to yours when you get it?

As for the Mods that every one is doing ie. wheels, CAI and fart cans, now days it seems that everyone is doing the same things. I too have "upgraded" to a Dynomax exhaust and stereo system. I am 40 and still like to have a good sounding audio system that has a lil more umph but is clean and crisp, not annoying to the neighbors. BTW "Freebird" and Johnny Cash sound great haha. I was thinkng of the CAI, but I am looking for MPG rather than power. IMO if you increase airflow the onboard computer has to increase fuel delivery for the increased air flow. Thus you get worse gas milage for daily driving. I didnt buy the SXT for 0-60 times. Hell I just got a 110.7 $350 ticket for trying to get out of a road rage situation with a BMW. I knew the highway, there were no cars, it was dry and just wanted to getaway from the idiot who got infront on me, slammed on his brakes that made the Semi (that got HUGE in my rear mirror) lock up and would have hit me. Then he raced around me and blocked the next exit. And of course the state trooper didnt see the situation.

I am not thrilled by the 20"+ rims that most are putting on the cars. But I can appreciate people wanting to personalize their rides. I wonder how a front end lowered only (to give it a rake) and wider rear tires would look. Probably throw off the handling, but I think it would give it the "nostalglick"(sp) look.

Well there is my $.02, yall have a great day.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:49 AM
old Bob N.E. CA
Rookie

In response to your question “I was just wondering what mods you are thinking about doing to yours when you get it?” I have no idea. I will drive the car for about 4 to 5 months, get used to it’s good attributes, and to what I think may be it’s failures. I will keep reading what others are doing and make up my mind then. Right now, I am thinking about the air intake. In the past, I have found this will improve performance, but can I second guess the engineers that developed this new Hemi engine? Of course racing enthusiasts will outdo the factory boys. I will keep looking for stats on what really improves performance without badly sacrificing the MPG.

Bob

Old 03-14-2005, 01:32 PM
VegasBound

Well, this seems as good a place as any for my first post.

I have been lurking on this board for about a month now, and just picked up my SXT on Saturday. I did test drive the SXT before I bought it, but never really put it through its paces on that short little trip. After deciding that this is the car I wanted, I found one at a dealer 300 miles away at a MUCH better price. I had the most unfortunate experience of having to wait to pick up this car, so in the meantime I was reading all the reviews and message boards like these regarding the SXT.

Most of these consisted of how much more powerful and overall better the RT is vs. the SXT. I was actualy worried that I was buying and underpowered vehicle that would compromise the safety of my family when driving it. One reviewer made the comment that he was not able to speed up to pass a semi merging onto the freeway. However, after my first actual drive in this car on Saturday, I couldn't understand what the hell this crackhead was talking about. The car is far from underpowered. OF COURSE the RT is much faster and powerful, I can't imagine how *****-to-the-walls fast that car must be, but some people simply can't afford it, like me. The next best thing seemed to be the SXT.

Now, back to the actual topic. I thought that if i really needed it I could add some of the mods to increase horsepower. Dual exhaust, performance chip, CAI, etc... I see no need at all for this now. I may upgrade the stereo a little bit, add headrest monitors for my daughter, maybe some new rims, but all of these being cosmetic. I absolutely love this car. The looks, the performance, the handling, and the comfort are just perfect. And the gas mileage.......... it cost me 21 bucks for that 300 mile trip home. Unbelievable.

Modding is deffinately a personal preferance. Some of us prefer to leave well enough alone, and some just cant stop trying to make it better. Without the modders, we probably wouldnt have many of the high performance cars we have today, including the Magnum. This is a great site for everyone to get ideas, get help, and show off.

My $.02

Quick Reply: Just a thought...