Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Painting Mud Flaps

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 01:03 PM
MagnumRT
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Mud Flaps

I am thinking of buying the Dodge mud flaps and painting them to match the car.

Has anyone done this? Did the paint hold up? Did it peel off?

My car is Magnesium Pearl.

Thanks,

Bob

Old 03-17-2005, 04:18 PM
StatueMan
Rookie
Default RE: Painting Mud Flaps

I ordered them and had the dealer install and paint them. Unfortunately he used a "bomb" (a can) versus a paint booth with "real" paint. I turned out ok...and cheap BUT I do have a few chips at the top where the things mount (they touch up easily). I highly recommend that you take them to a good paint shop and to not let them use a "bomb" (can). I was pretty disappointed when I picked it up and he told me...I assumed a booth, "real" paint, etc. Again, it was cheap but I could've done that! Live and learn.

Old 03-17-2005, 05:12 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

My son used to work in a body shop and he will do the work, I just wanted to make sure that the paint would stick.

Thanks,

Bob

Old 03-17-2005, 05:13 PM
Hemi RT
Professional

Had you paid for them yet? I would have told the guy FOR GET IT!

Old 03-17-2005, 06:01 PM
StatueMan
Rookie

I had some other work done, so...it wasn't worth the grey hair (Plus I had other work pending). I think it was about $30 plus the paint. I had it done right after I purchased the car and 7-8 months later it still looks ok...this is after 4 weeks of continual snow fall with the resultant road gunk accumulating in that area. I just wish it was "factory" good. This was while the car was still in the US, by the way.
One thing, regarding service. Having purchased the car in the US and having had various work done there versus here in Germany, the German's are FAR superior regarding attention to detail. I've had work done on both my DC cars (plus my two SAABs prior) and I can see the difference in work (I've been a shade tree mechanic for years). That's not to say that there aren't some good US mechanics...but by and large, German's just seem to care a bit more about the end result versus the dollar (or Euro, in this case). And , yes, I know they're a business and in it for the money, but...

Old 03-17-2005, 06:17 PM
done
Rookie

I had the dealer install and paint mine. Looks good, no problems.

Old 03-18-2005, 06:15 PM
strippedhemi
Veteran

I havent looked at a set myself personally. I own a body shop. Are they 'rubber' or rigid plastic (ABS). Id be nervous painting rubber ones, even with flex agent added. Plastic ones would be no problem, however there on the road and stones on the inside could cause 'stars' in the paint. Id definately use basecoat/ clearcoat for max durability. Spray can cheapo stuff would be a nono...id ask for my money back.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Cabo Mag

I ust bought a pair for the fron z7 back. I had themi nstalled on my wife's SXT(Yes we we have "his & her, mine of course bring a RT). On her silver SXT they look great unpainted, kinda of marching the rest of the trim. So **** painting them on my midnight blue RT, because being so close to the tires, whio wiould really notice?? They're function is to keep the rock chips off the paint. Save tyour cash for something that reakky makes a dif....(like eibachs) Just my 2cents worth...

Old 03-21-2005, 10:47 PM
MikeEast
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine done by the body shop just down the road, under the table, $40, they have the undercoat and were apinted with the same stuff the rest of the car is (Brilliant Black Metallic Pearlcoat) - looks great and so far the paint is still there...

Mike

Quick Reply: Painting Mud Flaps