Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Chatter noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Black RT/AWD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chatter noise when turning

Just wondering if anybody else has a chattering noise when they turn into parking spots or other tight turns when going slow. It doesn't seem to matter if it is a really sharp turn or not. It kind of sounds like rumble strips or the tire breaking loose. I was thinking it might be because of the long wheel base or the tires, but it does it on sand too. I also don't know if it does it on just the AWD's or not. The dealer thought it might be because the pavement was wet today but I guess they didn't hear me when I told them it didn't matter if it was wet dry or on sand. They took out another AWD and said it did the same thing, but honestly I didn't see them move one. (but they could have and I just didn't see it)

Old 03-17-2005, 11:41 PM
darkrt
Professional
Default RE: Chatter noise when turning

My AWD doesn't do it...

Old 03-18-2005, 03:25 AM
done
Rookie

Nor does mine. Find another dealer.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Jax

My RT is not AWD, but it might have had a similar porblem, hard to tell from the description but see if mine matches yours.....

Creaking groan the occured whenever braking to a stop down hill or turning slowly. Noise did not occur when braking to a stop uphill.
Noise got progressively worse and then was accompanied by a low howl whose volume increased with speed. Over time the volume of the howl at a given speed increased, to the point the I was turning up the radio to 13 - 14 to hear it well on the highway. Howl would dissappear if the car was lightly tossed into a left hand turn, enough to transfer some wieght around. What am I?

A bad left front wheel bearing hub assembly.

Dealer replaced it and the howl and creak were gone. Now I think the creak is back, but I have always though that to be a bushing.

Jax

Old 03-18-2005, 06:44 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Black RT / AWD,
Take it back to the Dealer. Tell them it is still doing it. Go and test drive another AWD RT on the lot and see if that car also has the same noises. But don't just test one car, test at least (3) others to be sure. Bottom line, if you don't think the sound is normal, drop it of for Warranty Repairs and make the Service Department issue a receipt with the description of the problem that you described and the solutions they did or did not find / perform. My wifes 2001 Durango had a horrible metallic clicking sound when you turned in a tight radius, like parking stalls, as you indicated. Took it to the Dealer (3) times, they said they tighted the springs or something, but still, every time within (2) weeks the clicking came back. Soon after that the Nationwide Recall for the Front end was announced. Soon after that, she totalled the Durango when someone jumped the gun, rolling on a red light, anticipating the Green. Don't have to worry about the Clicking sound anymore... Or the Ash Tray that opened at will... But still the Dodge Dealer would not work on my Durango due to the recall. All they said is that they would extend the Warranty on those parts for 100,000 miles. Dorks, that's not the point. I paid good money to support Chrysler, and all I want is a car that works. Correctly, without any noises...

Customer Service used to be better. I remember a story my neighbor from Pennsylvania told me about his Chrysler 300 back in the 60's or early 70's. It had squeaks. Took it to the Dealer, had the Dealer get in for a drive. Took the car down the road, shut the engine off with the windows down and listened. There were a dozen squeaks and squaks. Dealer fixed every single one of them until the car was silent. Current Dealers should have such pride in their products...

Old 03-20-2005, 12:18 AM
Black RT/AWD

I understand that alot of people come in with some pretty stupid concerns and problems to the dealer, but I just wish that more people gave a damn about what they were doing like the old days. I guess we all fall short sometimes and don't notice it. I am bringing the car to the dealer in NY where I purchased it. My friends dad ownes the place and it was the only RT they were getting so they will do anything they can for me. I was in Florida at the time and didn't buy the car from that dealer so they probly didn't want to waste any time or money on me.
They got me right in and all but I still think they are stokin me.
Thanks for writin. Mike

Old 03-20-2005, 12:22 AM
Black RT/AWD

Thanks for the replies everbody. The only other way I can explain the noise is by wetting your finger and pressing on glass kind of hard and then try and move your finger forward. I slips and stops and slips and stops. I know that is a really wierd way to describe it but that is the only other way I can think of. I am bringing it to another dealer this week.
Thanks again. Mike

Quick Reply: Chatter noise when turning