Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Mobil Extended Oils

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 04:39 AM
FlatEric
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mobil Extended Oils

DC in Germany says 12,000 KMs (7500 miles) maintenance intervals for the 300C and 300C Touring with the HEMI. And they are governed to 155 MPH!!!!

At over $20 a liter for oil at the dealers, you can imagine what would happen if they dictated 3,000 mile oil changes. That would be every 6 weeks for me, a car payment on a used BMW...

I do normal 50-60 MPH commute 99% of the time, so I plan to use the 6,000 mile schedule.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:26 AM
henry
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mobil Extended Oils

That's far more realistic. The europeans know what the reality of oil changes is. Same engine same car different oil change strategy. Why is that?

3000 miles between oil changes is an interval invented by and propagated by the oil and oil change industries that is worth billions in the US. Why would they endorse extended drain intervals and hurt their business?

Now let's look at the most hardworking engines out there - long haul heavy trucks. They run their oil (albeit with better filtration) for over 20,000 miles. It is necessary because they'd be changing their oil once every couple of days by the oil change industry's standards otherwise. Many of those engines go over a million miles between changeouts. Are they doing the right thing in terms of oil change intervals? You bet. The trucking industry demands that oil makers produce oils that will withstand extended fills. And the environment benefits as well.

I've tested extended drain intervals in various cars and they all survived far longer than average. I ran my old 1986 Honda for 13 years and 400,000 km with no oil related engine issues and changed the oil every 10,000 km. When I got rid of the car (rusted frame) it had factory spec identical compression on all four cylinders. This was not a coincidence. Oil used: Castrol Syntec 5W50. I changed the oil filter twice as often - every 5000 km.
I drove a souped up VW turbo diesel for 350,000 km with no oil related issues either. In fact, when I had the cam cover off the car for a timing belt change at 300,000 the mechanic marveled at the cleanliness of the engine and the fac that there was zero discernable wear on the camshaft and lifters. Oil used: Petro Canada Duron Synthetic Diesel engine oil 5W40. Oil filter changed at the same frequency.

I see no reason whatsoever why the oil change interval in the Hemi should be 3000 miles (5000 km). The only reason I'm following the change interval is (just in case) for warranty record keeping. After the warranty is up you can bet that I'll go back to my old ways. I'll get back to you in 300,000 km.

Quick Reply: Mobil Extended Oils