Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Exhaust install ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 11:57 PM
Vanilla Gorilla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust install ??

I just installed a Borla cat back yesterday. It worked great except for a slight drone, almost sounded like something was vibrating. I loosened everything up, readjusted and the drone went away. everything was perfect until I went to the store and I heard something rattling. Turns out it is the pipe too close to the black cross bracket under the car. I have tried to re-adjust it several times but the exhaust drops that 1/4 enough to either make it vibrate or rattle against the bracket.

I have a thin rubber exhaust mounting hanger wedged in there now and it works great....except it has started to melt a little and will eventually fail. Does anyone have any ideas? How about a source for a very hi temp rubber/plastic/gasket about 1/4-1/2" thick. If I can fix this it will be perfect.

Old 03-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Canadian GP
Default RE: Exhaust install ??

I don't know where you would find it but maybe a thick piece of asbestos?

Old 03-28-2005, 12:49 AM
44magnum

Why dont you just space the bracket down with some washers for more clearance?

Old 03-28-2005, 01:18 AM
MY HEMI
Rookie

I have the same problem with my flowmaster cat back kit too. I was thinking of doing what was suggested in the previous post use a couple washers to space down the cross member..If you want to use a material instead you can go to your local plumbing or heating store and ask for this gasket material we call Rainbow gasket it is like a redish/brown color it is used to go between metal section's of the boiler and tankless coil plate which makes hot water on a boiler THAT stuff can handle some heat. I used to make my header flange gaskets out of it WORKED great...Hope this help's....

Old 03-28-2005, 01:20 AM
tbirdman

Most people seemed to have solved the problem with washers. When I install mine this week that will be my plan. Very simple...unbolt the 4 bolts, add washers and voila

Old 03-28-2005, 01:25 AM
MY HEMI
Rookie

Yeah that's probably what im going to do ....Does anyone know about how many washer's to add???

Old 03-28-2005, 02:59 AM
Vanilla Gorilla

Thanks for the replys. I had thought of spacing it down with washers or something, but I don't want to eat in to my ground clearance too much. I will probably give the gasket material a try, or maybe notch the brace where the pipes cross.

Old 03-28-2005, 12:32 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

Why not spend a few bucks and take it to a muffler shop and have them fix it?

Bob

Old 03-30-2005, 11:39 PM
baggnum

4 nuts, set the cross member on a curb and bend it down an inch in the middle, re-install. worked for me with my catback exhaust

Quick Reply: Exhaust install ??