Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

RT Engine Siezed -??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 05:49 PM
chily3
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RT Engine Siezed -??

[:@]A neighbor had his RT engine (not motor - motors are electric) sieze while just driving along.
Anyone hear of this happening to others. I do not have much information on this other than all maintenance was done etc.
Dodge is putting in new engine.
mike

Old 03-29-2005, 06:11 PM
shiltz
Captain
Default RE: RT Engine Siezed -??

just a little nitpick but motor's aren't electric only.

mo·tor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mtr)
n.
Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or imparts motion.
A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power.
A motor vehicle, especially an automobile: “It was a night of lovers. All along the highway... motors were parked and dim figures were clasped in revery” (Sinclair Lewis).

Old 03-29-2005, 06:19 PM
illy
Professional

I think someone saw the special on the engine on the history channel...

They spent the last 5 minutes interviewing people in the industry with the question "What is the difference between an engine and a motor?" and the most common replies suggested that an engine was internal combustion and a motor was electric. Sounds reasonable enough, but it is all symantecs anyway...

Back to the OT, I can't say as I have heard of engines seizing up on Magnums, no...

Old 03-29-2005, 11:12 PM
still443

First, I haven't heard of this happening with this engine. The mechanic I trust says he has heard of rebuilds at 65-70K miles on many of them.

Secondly... The DMV called and said it will cost 20 billion dollars to change their name to the DEV.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:41 PM
VegasHemi
Professional

Detroit = "Motor City"
Ford Motor Company
General Motors
Anything that moves can sieze, but I doubt that it's a problem that's inherant to a Hemi.

Old 03-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Pentagon Magnum
Rookie

[quote]ORIGINAL: still443

First, I haven't heard of this happening with this engine. The mechanic I trust says he has heard of rebuilds at 65-70K miles on many of them.

Yikes! I know that's only one mechanic saying that...but if it does happen to mine, I hope it doesn't happen after the warranty expires. I can't believe any car company these days would build an engine that is only good for 70K miles.

Old 03-30-2005, 03:49 PM
chily3
Rookie

[8D]This is cool, so easy to move off topic,
mike

Old 03-30-2005, 04:38 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Chily 3,
What were the details in this Engine Seize? How many miles were on it? When was it last maintained? Did oil get put back in after the Oil Change? Driving down the street, was he driving in a Heavy rain? What were his normal driving habits? I'm sure there is a reason for the failure. What did the dealer state the problem was? And no, I have never heard of the Hemi Seizing, except when too much boost was applied to a truck, but there was a reason for that. Please let us know what happened to the RT to cause the Sieze. See if Dodge has an error code for what went wrong. I'm sure the check engine light came on, right?

Old 03-31-2005, 01:15 AM
chily3
Rookie

I will try and find out more, All I know is the dealer is replacing the engine with no explantion to the owner, My guess the factory wants the engine back intact. This happend with a bunch of porsches a few years back. Differenct company but same idea to keep it quiet. Notice comments about "overhaul" at 60-75,000 miles. Not good. Seems to be happening with more than Dodge. Must have something to do with emmisions and lean running for fuel economy.

mike

Old 03-31-2005, 05:31 PM
Raxstone
Rookie

ORIGINAL: chily3

[:@]A neighbor had his RT engine (not motor - motors are electric) sieze while just driving along.
Anyone hear of this happening to others. I do not have much information on this other than all maintenance was done etc.
Dodge is putting in new engine.
mike
Somebody better let Ford Motor Company, and General Motors know that they are in the wrong industry! What about history books -- they all refer to the original cumbustion engine vehicle as 'motor cars'. The entire industry has been wrong for over 100 years!! All that history that now needs to be re-written. Quick, start writing and be the first to publish the corrected histories, you can make a fortune!

Quick Reply: RT Engine Siezed -??