Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

New tire change (from 18" to 22")

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 12:36 PM
DawnSh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb New tire change (from 18" to 22")

Want to change my factory installed 18" tires to 22". Just found out that the computer chip has to be changed also, because of speed, etc. Do I HAVE to go to a Dodge dealership for this? I don't want to be limited in my choice of tires and wheels! Thinking I can buy what I want and just get them to install?
I'm new on this forum and have many questions. I have a '07 Magnum hemi (SRT). Just found out I have to change sparkplugs every 30k miles!
If I get someone else to do it, what price point should I expect? Just got a quote of $400 from Midas.
ANY advice on plugs, tires, mufflers would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:42 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum Dawn. Lots of questions for your first post... LOL!!!!

First the tires. Yes you can go to the dealership and have them adjust your computer in the car to compensate for the different tire diameter so your speedo won't get screwed up. You could also do this yourself by buying a Predator tuner. Then you will have the power to tune your car after you start modifying it. The last thing that you can look into is a Dyno shop in your area that does programming. They use the predator tuner as well so they will be able to adjust the tire size and tune as well as you mod. As far as prices for this, it will all depend on the dealer/individual place you goto. If you were to buy a Predator, you can pick them up for around $400.

Ok, onto the plugs. Now this one is going to be expensive. I'm not sure on the 30k miles changing thing though. Did you read this in your manual? I haven't checked mine yet. Anyway, I know that changing the plugs on the Hemi is a PITA and it is expensive. It is also a long *** job. This is no Honda that can be banged out in an hour. You are looking at somewhere in the 4-5 hour mark to get done if I remember, so the price is going to go up depending on what the shop charges per hour. The other thing to look at is if the garage that you choose is familiar with the Hemi engine. The more familiar the garage is with the engine, the quicker it can be done. My dealership will do plugs for under $300 so shop around to get a better price.

Onto the muffler. This is going to come down to price and what kind of sound do you want. You can go the cheap route and get a couple of Flowmaster 40 series mufflers to replace the stock mufflers. The middle route would be to go with a full magnaflow setup (this is what I got) or you can go with the more expensive set up and go Borla. All the ones listed there are good and will open up the rides HP more, but if you want a car that sounds like it is ready to run a NASCAR race, look into SLP's loudmouth set up. This one is to loud for me mostly because my car is a daily driver. If my car was a weekend racer, this is what I would have.

Tires: You are on your own there. I would never stick 22" on a SRT. It will look good, but pointless on a car that can do 13 seconds in the qrt mile stock. You will lose something going to 22" because they are going to be alot heavier as well. IMO, I would stick to 20" and drop the car an inch to an inch and a half to fill the void.

I just reread your topic title. You have 18" on your car? I thought all SRT's came stock with 20" tires. Just wondering there. Never saw a SRT with anything smaller.

Anyway, that is it for now. Ask up some questions if you got them.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:16 PM
DawnSh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile thanks!

you're definitely helping me on this. after posting and talking some more to someone else (a guy that also knows his stuff), i believe that 20' tires would be best. and yes, the 18" are from the manufacturer. when i bought it, used, i was looking at wheels and keeping the tires. i was told i was limited on the wheels because of the size...
i'm not looking to make it a race car but i want the best performance. i DO ride cars hard and want this to last... and keep up w/ me :-)

spark plugs... yes, seems like it will take a while to do. the Midas guys said about 2-1/2 hrs. (sounds better than the 4-5 hrs!) they did check online about Hemis' 30K change and unfortunately, it's correct. OUCH! but it's worth it.

at least i got talking to the guy more at the Midas place... he loves old cars and fixes them up. so knowing and growing up on old cars, we talked a lot. he's not looking to make money (that's what they always say huh?) but he seemed real... in telling me we would see what was needed for the car to maintain the way i want it and run good.

as for the muffler, looking at Flowmaster's 50 Delta Flow... not too loud but w/ some noise. i'm in a development also AND i don't need a red flag for cops :-D

i'll see what can happen w/ the tires. he suggested 'Top 10 Tires' around the corner and they would pull up what i could switch to w/out messing w/ the chip... but i may have to do that anyway.

thanks again for your input! greatly appreciated :-)

Quick Reply: New tire change (from 18" to 22")