Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

2008 Magnum SE Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 07:53 PM
carguy0528
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2008 Magnum SE Check Engine Light

I have a 2008 Magnum SE with the 2.7L V6 and almost 45,000 miles on it. I have had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever, until now. Certain personal circumstances have had me driving back and forth from Tallahassee to Sarasota, Florida, 4 times in the last six weeks. Every time I've made the drive, the check engine light has come on for no reason. And every time it's come on, I would stop, check the oil level, check the battery, engine temp, etc. and everything seemed to be copacetic. What's really odd is that usually the next time I start the car, no Check Engine Light blaring it's evil orange glow at me. Now after returning for the fifth time, the check engine light will NOT GO AWAY! I've checked everything, hell I even had the oil changed twice; once after the normal 3000 miles and then again after only 2000 miles to see if that would do the trick, and I have no idea what's going on. The car drives fine, but that stupid check engine light will not go away! Any suggestions? Please help!

Old 10-30-2009, 11:14 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

First you need to pull codes and post. Could be just an evap code?

Old 11-11-2009, 09:56 PM
46FD04
Rookie

The"Check Engine" light does not mean for you to check the engine (oil, coolant, etc...). The light is telling you the computer has detected a fault or a faulty component (most common problem with engines is a faulty oxygen sensor).

Have a Mechanic hook up your car to find out which component requires a repair or replacement.

e.g. Today I did a coolant flush & fill on my 2007 Magnum with a 3.5L engine. I had to remove the radiator fan cluster to access the hoses. When I put the fans back in, I forgot to re-connect the electrical plug, and it tripped my Check Engine light. Having a quick look, I realized my error, and hooked it back up. To reset the light, I disconnected the battery for a few minutes.

The Check Engine light can be a pain sometimes, but it serves an important function.
Also, many 3.5L engines had a problem with their intake plenums, setting off the light. Dodge had to replace the plenums under warranty.

Again, the light did it's job.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Curt Bradbury

Usually with check engine lights on a vehicle with upwards of 65000 miles it's the O2 sensor as was previously stated. Curt

Old 08-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Ramdit
Amateur

The chech engine light will come on for over 100 different problems the pcm sees. O2 sensors are common, but you need to know why its on before you just replace something.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:26 PM
renegadeiceberg

mine does it off and on when it doesn't like how i put the gas cap on.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:46 AM
Buzliteyear

Ditto on the poster who said check the codes. It could be a million things, most of which are minor.

LOL to the gas cap problem. I never heard of that one.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:16 AM
skisprinkle686

I just recently bought an 07 3.5 Magnum and the check engine light has come on. I pulled the code to find it is the dreaded P1004. So after searching through all the threads on here about the topic I decided to tackle it myself. I removed the plenum and sprayed carb cleaner on the valve that is inside of there to free it up. After doing that, I replaced everything and disconnected the battery to reset the code. It stayed off for about 10 miles then came back on. I don't know if I should keep taking off the plenum and cleaning the valve or what I should do next.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:26 PM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P1004 is the short runner valve code, yes? I haven't heard of anything involving cleaning the valve....but I do know that there is a TSB for that problem that might be covered on your particular car. I do believe this code only applies to 3.5 engines, and not the 2.7. The 2.7 usually involves replacement of the solenoid but the 3.5 may have to have the upper plenum replaced and the PCM flashed.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:16 PM
honu
Amateur

Originally Posted by renegadeiceberg
mine does it off and on when it doesn't like how i put the gas cap on.
Same here, I ended up replacing the gas cap, it wasn't sealing properly.

Quick Reply: 2008 Magnum SE Check Engine Light