Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Aftermarket Exhaust issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 11:49 PM
Magman3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Exhaust issues

I had a flowmaster 40 series installed on my SXT today. I was reluctant to take the resonator off, but the exhaust had no sound with it on. This was the first Magnum that my local muffler shop had done, so they nothing to go by. I had them pull it back in and take off the monster stock resonator. It definately woke the car up, but later this evening I had my wife go for a quick spin around the block. The car sounds great when you crank it up, and when you first accelerate, but if you get on it a little, it sounds like a freakin honda with a aftermarket cannon on it. I'm stuck now. I will be making another trip tomorrow to the shop to get a resonator put on.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:24 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker
Default RE: Aftermarket Exhaust issues

I went through the same thing with the FM40. Went back 2 days later and had a Dynomax put on, still no resonator. The FM40 sounded "right" but had drone inside from hell. There are a couple of guys that have put on 12" glass packs instead of the resonators. They say the drone is gone. If you go to my webpage in the signature, I have the Dynomax as an opening sound. Unfort I used a cheap condenser mic to record it and it lacks the bass that it really has. It dont sound so "ricey" in real life. It has a very well mannered tone to it, even inside when I step on it.

Old 04-20-2005, 11:52 AM
AJ_Gil
Rookie

After a long talk with my local muffler shop (that does alot of custom systems) I was advised & went with Magnaflow Mufflers.
They have no baffles (more like curved glasspaks) and produce a mellow tone with no interior drone.
I had the resonators replaced with custom tips and the sound with my hemi is just right.
A smooth rumble accelerating & decelerating but the noise disappears when cruising.

Old 04-20-2005, 01:48 PM
MagnumSXT
Professional

Unfortunately what sounds good on your RT has no bearing at all on what will sound good on a V6. It would be really hard to make a big V8 sound bad. Not so hard on a 6.

I really would like for my SXT to have a little better exhause note but I absolutely do not want to end up sounding like a bumblebee on steroids. I'm thinking that it should be possible to make a nice deep exhaust note. I'm thinking staying with single exhaust is my best option, but I'm scared. I don't want to throw money away and do it 2-3 times, or end up going back to stock.

Old 04-20-2005, 02:03 PM
farhawk
Rookie

ORIGINAL: MagnumSXT

Unfortunately what sounds good on your RT has no bearing at all on what will sound good on a V6. It would be really hard to make a big V8 sound bad. Not so hard on a 6.

I really would like for my SXT to have a little better exhause note but I absolutely do not want to end up sounding like a bumblebee on steroids. I'm thinking that it should be possible to make a nice deep exhaust note. I'm thinking staying with single exhaust is my best option, but I'm scared. I don't want to throw money away and do it 2-3 times, or end up going back to stock.
I put a dual system on my 87 Buick 3.8 v6. I used a pair of a turbo type muffler. I can't remember the brand. I was really pleased with the sound. It had a throaty V8 sound at idle and lower RPMs and no drone.

Old 04-20-2005, 04:22 PM
AJ_Gil
Rookie

The point I was trying to make was that according to my muffler guy the Flowmasters have a louder, "tinny" sound while the Magnaflows are mellower. Shouldn't that also apply to the 6??

Old 04-20-2005, 04:48 PM
MagnumSXT
Professional

Sorry, yes that should. If the Flowmasters sound tinny on a larger CI engine, that would most likely be exaggerated on a 6cyl.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Magman3
Professional

OK, I just got back from the muffler shop and got my problem taken care of. The drone was horrible with no resonator, with the 40 series flowmaster. I had a magnaflow 12" resonator installed to take out the drone. Now it sounds much better. Now, $300 later, I finally have a good sounding exhaust. I should have waited for magnaflow to release their system for the 3.5, but I wanted it now.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Exhaust issues