Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

avic D1

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 09:45 PM
chrisuscga01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default avic D1

Ok looking to install the avic D1. any thoughts? just like the avic n2 but with out the dvd option. I just want the nav system. Plus it will be a cleaner install since it will flush mount instead of popping out and stuff. I will be adding the nav traffic too.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EV19MFS...search=avic+d1

Old 04-25-2005, 10:00 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain
Default RE: avic D1

Chris USC GA 01,
Cool... Good luck with the installation. I didn't get the NAV System because I am very familiar with my area, until I went on Vacation up in Northern California, where I have never been, and got lost for more than an hour. I have confirmed my theory that NAV Systems are only for idiots, like me... The guy who got lost without one... Wondering though, the price is just about as much as the Dealr installed NAV System. Why not the stock unit?

Old 04-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Pentagon Magnum
Rookie

That looks good, but I have the same question as The Fuse: Why not the stock unit? The pioneer doesn't appear to have the 6 disc changer like the stock unit? Will it work with the steering wheel controls? Good luck with the install, and you'll love having the nav...I don't know what I ever did without it!

Old 04-26-2005, 12:49 AM
chrisuscga01
Professional

I thought about the stock unit. But I had a bunch of questions. How good is it? Does it do points of Interest? The screen looked a little small comapered to this one. Might not be though. Also This one has the Nav traffic which I like. I will be down in DC shortly to live and will need it. Any thoughts on the Stock version?

Old 04-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Pentagon Magnum
Rookie

Looks like the Pioneer has a larger screen (the stock screen is 6"). The graphics and usability of the stock unit is excellent in my opinion. It has points of interest and a home setting (which I use, not necessarily to get me home, but it points me the direction to get out of the location that I happened to end up at). I don't have much to compare to since this is the first unit I've used, but it took me no instructions to use this nav system and it hasn't let me down yet for getting me where I want to go. As for the Nav traffic, the stock unit doesn't have something like that. Does that system figure out the best route around traffic jams?

Old 04-27-2005, 01:19 AM
chrisuscga01
Professional

Pentagon the xmnav traffic will reroute you if there is traffic blockage. it is really a neat system. Also I like the avic D1 b/c it is touch screen. I heard the stock system wasn't and was hard to navigate around. Is it touch screen?

Old 04-27-2005, 02:13 AM
Pentagon Magnum
Rookie

Chris- the stock system isn't touch screen...and it would definitely be easier if it was, but I haven't had any difficulty navigating through the menu's, etc. I'm starting to see why you chose the non-stock system though. The D1 seems to have some definite upgrades compared to the stock. Gut instinct says you're makin' a great choice. You'll have one sweet system once it's installed.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:15 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Pentagon Magnum,
Does the stock Nav Unit operate with the Steering Wheel Buttons? If so, that might be worth it right there.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:42 PM
chrisuscga01
Professional

That is true. I worry about losing my steering buttons for the radio. Granted it is only the volume and search controls which i can do or have my copilot (LOL) do. But i still like the idea of the Nav Traffic and the touch screen. I was looking at the Avic N2. But I dont' need the DVD for the extra 500 dollars it costs. Plust the D1 is a cleaner install almost factory looking and you dont' have to take out the nav cd with this one as you do in the N2.

Old 04-29-2005, 04:01 AM
lmbcfls

I have an N-1 in my other car, and thought about putting one in the Magnum (which I ordered equipped just as I wanted it). BTW, Pioneer just came out with an IPOD interface. I opted for the factory unit.

The Pioneer IS easier to use; and its POI features are killer. It also has speech recognition. My other car doesn't have have steering wheel; controls; so I didn't miss them. The N-1also offers a backup camera -- don't need it for my other car; want it but don't want to pay all that $$$ to put it in the Magnum.

BUT the factory system is seamlessly integrated into the rest of the car's electronics (e.g. the factory Bluetooth system, which I heartily recommend); the N-1, and I suspect the D-1 would not be. I'm VERY happy with my N-1 -- but. I'd opt for the factory Nav in the Magnum I had to do it all over again.