Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Headlights...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 08:04 PM
Klute
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights...

I was on a Dodge lot today looking at some Magnums.

I noticed an appearance package (on an SXT) that included nicer 18" wheels and the different headlights etc...

I like the nicer wheels, but I am not sold on the headlights. The headlights look like the RT version and are very shiney, I kinda like the darker one's on the regular model...

Old 04-27-2005, 08:10 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain
Default RE: Headlights...

Klute,
That was probably the SXT Limited Edition or Special Edition. It is basically the RT Body and Transmission with the V6 installed. Seems there is a federal standard that limits the number V8 that can be produced. Looks to me they slapped the V6's in these cars at the end of the 2005 run. All RT's have the 18" Wheels and the Chrome Highlights. SE and SXT have the Black Highlights. Go figure...

Old 04-27-2005, 08:13 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Klute,
Hey wait a second. Klute, you mean to tell me that you haven't got a Magnum yet? What's the hold-up? Hurry up and buy one! The more I read threads on the forum, it seems the Magnum is getting built cheaper every run. Mine has a warranty, new ones do not. Mine has the old school hood prop, new ones have the Honda hood prop. Huslte!

Old 04-27-2005, 08:50 PM
MagnumSXT
Professional

How exactly is it getting built cheaper to make it an option to have the same headlights and wheels as the RT on another model? That's not making it cheaper, thats building what the customer wants. How many threads have you seen where SXT and SE guys want the RT wheels and headlights, and vice versa? I've seen several.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:11 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Magnum SXT,
How on earth do you get the notion that the Magnums are cheaper due to the Headlights? That does not make sense... Did you read the whole thread, or just part? The Magnums are being built cheaper, how much cheaper, I don't fully know. I do know that the Magnums purchased after 4/04/05 will not have the 7 Year / 70,000 Mile Powertrain Warranty. 3 Year / 36,000 Mile Bumper-to Bumper only. [:'(] Extended Warranty can be purchased for, you guessed it, an additional cost. [>:] The Hood on the Magnums are also cheaper. The 2006 Magnums have a Honda Style Hood Prop. Rod. My 2005 Magnum is equipped with shocks to open and hold up the hood. [8D] The color of the Headlights has nothing to do with the quality of the car. In fact, Black SE Headlights are on my list for Mods. I have confirmed with my lawyer that the Black Headlights will not diminish the quality of my car. However, the lack of quality of the Honda Hood Prop. Rod would diminish the quality of my car. Hood Prop. Rods were a big mistake for the American Auto Makers. They should have never followed the imports. Seems to me they made the Spring loaded hinges just fine. Hood Prop. Rods were not made with the 'One Armed Man' in thought. [X(] Go to your 2006 Magnum and open the Hood with one hand. [sm=headbang.gif] Let me know what you think?

Old 04-28-2005, 04:11 AM
MagnumSXT
Professional

Well, I read the title of the thread "Headlights....", and made the logical conclusion, that you thought the Magnum was somehow being cheapened by SXT getting the chrome headlights. Wasn't really too big a jump. I don't know how having a prop rod instead of the gas strut translates to "cheapens at every run". A lot of cars have prop rods, even my 99 Chrysler Town and Country, (I was suprised the Magnum had the shocks to be real honest) and I have had cars without prop rods and wished they had them when the Hood fell on my head when the struts ran out of gas, got cold, etc... Not everything about the prop rod is bad IMO. But on the other hand I never considered having to use them with only one arm.

Old 04-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Klute
Professional

Nope, I have not bought one yet.

I am still undecided as to what I will buy and when.

I am leaning towards a 2006 b/c 2005 was the first production year for the Magnum. The last time I had a first year production car was the Stratus and I had ALOT of problems with it that was worked out by the 2nd year.

As far as the special edition, I am not sure. It did not say anything about special edition on the sticker...

I did a little research and this Magnum SXT had the AMU and WPR options.

AMU = 3.5L High Output badge, chrome headlight bezels,fog lamps, fold-away heated power adj mirrors. ($300)
WPR = 18" x 7.5" Polished Alum spoke wheels, rear stabilizer bar and touring suspension ($250)

Old 04-28-2005, 10:10 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Klute,
I know what you means about the 1st Year Models. I was warned of that too, before I got my 2005 Mineral Gray Magnum RT. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! But in my defense, remember that they started making these 2005 Magnums back in February 2004, so I do have a car that has been around for a year. The 2005 Magnum had a defect in the ease of opening the Hood, so they replaced the Gas Shocks with a Hood Prop. Missed out on that one. Also, Dodge saw that the warranty was not effiecient enough for such a clean ride, so they upgraded the 3 Year / 36,000 Mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty and the 7 Year / 70,000 Mile Power Train Warranty to just a Ford and GM 3 Year / 36,000 Mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty. This eliminates extra ink used to print out the 7 Year / 70,000 Mile Power Train Warranty portion for free. Now it's about $650 for the added ink.

But hey, the 2005 were riddled with recalls, right?

1) Radiator Bracket Recall (not mine)
2) Anti-Freeze Fluid Recall (not mine)
3) Wheel Pull Service Bulletin (not mine)

But damn, here is the list of the bitchen stuff my 2005 does not have. [sm=chairshot.gif]

1) Front Folding Passenger Seat
2) Auto Headlight Switch (bitchen)
3) 365 Days Newer
4) Silver Steel Metalic Clear Coat replaces Mineral Gray
5) Tire Pressure Monitor (300C)
6) Linen Gold Metalic Clear Coat (oh yea, that's a winner)
7) Satin Silver lower Steering Wheel Spokes
8) Express-Up Windows (bitchen)

This car is awesome. I even saw an SXT Comercial the other night. I heard people complaining that Dodge did not promote the V6's enough. They were complaining about every Tom, Dick and Harry that pulls up next to him wants to race. And he's pissed about that? Where are those guys when I am driving? Seems they should have got the RT and waxed all of the Tom, Dick and Harry's instead of complaining.... [sm=gears.gif]

Old 04-29-2005, 04:08 AM
lmbcfls

My 06 Magnum RT has the TPM (Tire Pressure Monitor) feature.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:54 AM
SteveS

ORIGINAL: 2005 Magnum R/T Hemi

Klute,
That was probably the SXT Limited Edition or Special Edition. It is basically the RT Body and Transmission with the V6 installed. Seems there is a federal standard that limits the number V8 that can be produced. Looks to me they slapped the V6's in these cars at the end of the 2005 run. All RT's have the 18" Wheels and the Chrome Highlights. SE and SXT have the Black Highlights. Go figure...
I have a SXT Special Edition. It has the black headlights. Other than the badge on the front fender saying Special Edition, the exterior is the same as a regular SXT. The Special Edition bundled the RAK radio with Sirrius, the rear cargo organizer (without the hideous roof rack), sunroof, and Boston Acoustic system. These were all options I wanted, and the Special Edition package brings them together for about $800 less than selecting them individually. It is not the RT Body and Trans with a V6. I wish it had the 5-speed, but now that the 5-speed in the SXT has been delayed until the end of the year, I am glad I bought what I bought.

Quick Reply: Headlights...