Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Gas mileage issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Magman3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas mileage issues

I have an SXT with about 1K miles on it. I was getting pretty good gas mileage (about 17-18 MPG) for about the first few fill ups. I just got gas today, I had a quarter tank and was sitting at the 200 mile trip mark. I filled it up, 13 gallons worth. This gave me about 15 1/2 MPG for that tank. I haven't driven the car any different this week than I have before. The only difference is that this was the first full tank of gas I've went through since installing my exhaust. Could this bring down the MPG that much? What else could cause for such a drastic drop? Should I be concerned? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![]

Old 05-06-2005, 12:40 AM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain
Default RE: Gas mileage issues

Mag Man 3,
Does the SXT go faster with the Exhaust?

[sm=burnout.gif]

Old 05-06-2005, 12:43 AM
Magman3
Professional

It opened it up some, but I mainly installed it for "the better gas mileage" possibility and to give it a little growl. I love the exhaust but if this is causing my gas mileage problem, I will probably go back to factory.

Old 05-06-2005, 12:51 AM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Mag Man 3,
Oh, nevermind... I figured, if it went faster, there's no concern! But if Fuel Economy is what you are looking for, I would say stock is best. Even if I had the Exhaust and it DID save on Gas Mileage, I would get worse Mileage also. But only due to the fact that I would want to continually hear the Exhaust Mod., which means a slightly deeper foot pedal, which means more trips to the Gas Station... Did you happen to keep track of the Pedal (%) Position on the Computer before and after the Exhaust Mod.? I am just thinking that you are inadvertantly using more Fuel, or not...

Old 05-06-2005, 01:07 AM
Magman3
Professional

I'm sure its something stupid like that. I just get very concerned when I see a drop like this in gas mileage, especially on a v6 with under 1K miles. I know there is a break in period on these vehicles as well. I'm just concerned because I had a 03 Hemi Ram that I traded in because of the gas mileage I was receiving (11-12 MPG). This is also why I did not go with the R/T Mag. I know it advertises better fuel effiecency, but I was very unsure about the 4 cylinder shutoff. That technology is too new and I haven't researched the ins and outs. I don't regret the V6 option at all. Just enough power to have fun.

Old 05-06-2005, 01:18 AM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Mag Man 3,
No doubt the SXT has enough power. More than enough to get you into trouble. I could not resist the RT. Had to order one on my Birthday. Had to wait 3 months for it. Even worse, I had to drive a Ford for those 3 months. [:'(] Had to go through a second and worsened state of waiting when the Dealer called and said it shipped. Oh man, the next week and a half was like a lifetime hidden on a rock at the bottom of Mount Doom. But when I got it and read the window sticker, that this 2005 Magnum RT was made specifically for ME, to bitchen... Sorry to go off like that, it's easy with this car. I get 14.4 MPG while stepping on it around town. Consistantly. Freeway Mileage varies, as the Freeway speeds vary here in Southern California. Usually on the way to and from work it is about 15 - 30 MPH. But on a trip to Vegas I got 25.5 MPG. Not bad considering the hills in a few spots.

Old 05-06-2005, 08:15 PM
Magman3
Professional

I guess 15-17 MPG around town isn't bad then for me. My trip to work is 10 miles and takes me 20 minutes without traffic and 45 minutes with. It's stop and go from the time I pull out to the time I get to work. One day I will count how many lights I drive through. This is probably part of my problem. I was doing the same drive with my Ram and got 11 MPG.

Old 05-08-2005, 01:01 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

The opened up exhaust should give you better mileage, are you sure it isn't you stepping on the gas to hear the new exhaust that is causing the problem?

My RT gives me great mileage, usually in the 20 MPG range for around town driving. I do live in a small Florida town and most of my driving is in the 40-50 MPH range.

Highway driving with cruise on yields over 25 MPG at 70-75 MPH.

No complaints here.............

PS/ I have Flowmasters and a cold air intake on my RT.

Bob

Old 05-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Magman3
Professional

I've been extra easy on it lately. I've used a quarter of tank and I'm sitting at the 100 mile mark on the trip. I'm taking it into the dealer next week to get the rotors looked at. They are making a little bit of noise like the pads are rubbing. I will tell them about the gas mileage then and see what they say.

Old 05-08-2005, 08:43 PM
grinner
All Star

I've not been able to get better than 14mpg since I bought the thang.
dadgum!

Quick Reply: Gas mileage issues