Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Oil Pan Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 11:47 AM
MagnumRT
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Drain Plug

Since I am almost 65 years young and on disability, I have been taking my cars in to a shop to get the oil changed. But with the raising cost of everything today, I decided to let my 42 year old son do my oil changes for me.

Now to my question:

Should the oil drain plug be so hard to remove? I mean that little bugger was really on tight, did the shop just over tighten it? Or since it is a metal bolt in an aluminum pan, should we be using some anti-seize on the drain plug?

Another question, do the V6 engines also have the aluminum drain pan, or is it just the Hemi's?

Hey DodgeMech, what's the answer?

At 8,500 miles on my RT, I decided to switch over to Mobil 1 synthetic 5w20 oil and use a good Purolator oil filter.

Bob

Old 05-07-2005, 03:11 PM
MagnumRT
Captain
Default RE: Oil Pan Drain Plug

I received an email back from DodgeMech on this subject, here is what he had to say:

No, I do however recommend changing the drain plug every oil change. The
drain plug's seal is built into the plug and should be changed to prevent
leaks. With a fresh seal the plug does not have to be tightened very much,
doing so will pull threads. I change ALOT of aluminum pans that have had the
oil changed at Wal-Mart/Oil Changers type places. They over tighten the plug
and ruin the pan. The plug should not be torqued beyond 10 ft lbs under any
circumstances. You also do not want to pull the plug if the pan is too hot;
if you can't comfortably place your bare hands on the oil pan it's too hot.

Very interesting, thanks for the info..DodgeMech

Bob

Old 05-07-2005, 07:15 PM
magnuman
Rookie

MagnumRT,
If your son is going to start doing your oil changes, do yourself a favor and get a Fumoto Drain Valve. It'll make the job a lot easier and you won't ever have to worry about stripping or removing the plug again. I've read where at least one member has already pulled the helicoil from the pan. Also, I would recommend either a Mobil 1 filter, if you can find one, or a K & N filter. See the following sites:
http://www.fumotovalve.com/
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html
http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-o...n-oilpart6.htm

Hope this helps.

Old 05-07-2005, 10:06 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to help Bob...

BTW, yes the other shop did overtighten the plug, it should break loose with one hand. The filter should also spin off with little help from the filter wrench.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Rockadile
Rookie

I've been changing my own oil for the past 15 years and my wifes for the past 6 years. This is well over 10 cars and I've NEVER had to replace the drain plug. The Dodge doesn't look any different from the others. I always thought that it was something I'd have to pay attention to as I figured the built-in seal would wear over time, but I've never seen 1 leak. Maybe if it was overtightened, but since I did my own changes, I never had to worry about this. The fumuto valve looks interesting, though.

Old 05-10-2005, 05:58 PM
dodgemech
All Star

ORIGINAL: Rockadile

I've been changing my own oil for the past 15 years and my wifes for the past 6 years. This is well over 10 cars and I've NEVER had to replace the drain plug. The Dodge doesn't look any different from the others. I always thought that it was something I'd have to pay attention to as I figured the built-in seal would wear over time, but I've never seen 1 leak. Maybe if it was overtightened, but since I did my own changes, I never had to worry about this. The fumuto valve looks interesting, though.
Well keep doing that way, I guess you can do your own work so you won't mind replacing an oil pan. Most folks would rather spend the extra 2.00 to replace the oil plug. Steel plugs in aluminum pans do not work very well, they have a nasty tendency to gall threads and as soon as the steel threads a sliver of Al in them they ruin the whole pan. Just my thoughts though.

Old 05-10-2005, 06:04 PM
MagnumSXT
Professional

dodgemech, are you saying that we should a. go to the dealer for the oilchanges, or b. get that fumotovalve thingy?

Old 05-11-2005, 04:08 AM
dodgemech
All Star

Or c. go to the dealer and buy a handful of drain plugs at 2.00/ea and keep them in your toolbox.

Yep, thats the one. I am not opposed to changing your own oil, in fact I encourage it. Just do it correctly, use a new plug, don't overtighten it, don't overtighten the filter and for God's sake please fill it with oil before you try to start it. You laugh but I have seen it many times.....even in the shop.

Old 05-11-2005, 01:30 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

Here is one for you DodgeMech,

I have heard of horror stories about getting your oil changed at a shop.

Like the poor lady that took her car in for an oil change, seems the shop forgot to drain out the old oil and added 5 more quarts to the engine. Seems the engine died a few miles after she left the shop, all that extra oil whipped up and worked it's way into the distributor.

OUCH!

Bob

Old 05-11-2005, 03:45 PM
MagnumSXT
Professional

Hadn't thought of that one. Does the dealership install a new plug at each oil change?

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Drain Plug