Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Transmission won't shift automatically at 4000rpm

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 12:34 PM
digitalebola
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission won't shift automatically at 4000rpm

Hey all. I have a 05 Magnum RT that just came out of the shop. I had the BAS/ESP light as well as an ABS light. They replaced a hub, sensor and did a brake job. Before I took it in (an hour before) the transmission started shifting HARD. It would slam into every gear (and bark the tires). I told them this and they said they would update the software and do a tranny service.

Dealer kept the car for a week to do the job. Got it back late Friday. Immediately I noticed the idle was vibrating the whole car (almost like I had a huge cam in there with a low idle). That was interesting. The next thing I found out was that at WOT the car will not shift out of first or second gear automatically. RPMs hit 4000 and it sits there. I can hit the auto stick and it will shift. If I am less than WOT it shifts fine.

Is the shift solenoid suspect? I did some searching and that was all I could come up with. I will be taking it back but I want to know if any one has ideas.

Thanks!!

Old 05-16-2010, 01:13 PM
digitalebola

BTW - Idle is now down round 650 RPM. That would account for the rumbling idle.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:41 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the didn't do the software upgrade correctly. We just had a similiar problem with a Charger and it needed a new computer all together. If the car is shifting, it won't be the solenoid. That works just on a voltage I/O system, so if it is shifting properly under certain driving condition then it is working ok.

Chances are they didn't do the software upgrade or did the wrong thing with the computer. Your idle is low, at WOT the computer isn't reading the RPM's correctly, the shifting hard all points to computer problems.

The thing is that this is rather a common problem with dodges. I've seen it on all engine types and model types.

Let us know what the dealer says. Good info for future searches.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:48 AM
digitalebola

Thanks. I will be calling them later today. Unfortunately I wont be able to tak the car in till next week.

J

Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 AM
digitalebola

I took it back this past Monday and the called me this morning. They replaced the transmission valve body and all seem well. Covered under warranty. They say as the idle fixed itself with the new parts.

Drives like her old self now!

Quick Reply: Transmission won't shift automatically at 4000rpm