Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

05 Magnum 2.7L blown rod?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:54 PM
ding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Magnum 2.7L blown rod?

Hi guys, newbie to the site. I bought an 05 Magnum SE with the 2.7L, and recently ran into problems with it. It started off with the oil light blinking at idle. Checked the oil and was only about a half quart low. Added a little bit of oil hoping that would stop the light blinking. No luck. The next day I started to hear a little knock from the engine (sounded like a lifter knocking). Later in the day it got louder so I took it to the mechanic. He said that it's either a broken rod, or a broken piston. So, I'm stuck with what to do. Do I tell him to fix it, or replace the engine? And if I should replace the engine, is it possible to do an upgrade to something bigger? The mechanic said probably not, that the wiring for a different engine would be different and costly to put in. Any help or advice (or links to replacement engine sites) would be appreciated. thanks.

Quick Reply: 05 Magnum 2.7L blown rod?