Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

2005 Magnum R/T Full tank of gas & goes dead while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:45 AM
melannben
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2005 Magnum R/T Full tank of gas & goes dead while driving

I'm new to this forum. I have a 2005 Magnum R/T with 79400 miles. It has been doing this for a while but has gotten worse. When I put a full tank of gas in it, it goes dead about a mile up the road. Oil light comes on and car goes dead while driving. I can make it go by keeping my foot on the gas when it starts to stumble. After it runs for awhile it's fine. I usually only put half a tank in it and have no problems. Anybody else having a similar problem? My solution is to never fill up again but this is ridiculous. Now it's is throwing a PO406 EGR high code. Possible solution I hope.

Last edited by melannben; 06-13-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Found a trouble code
The following users liked this post:
Nburgos1 (01-06-2020)
Old 06-15-2010, 09:12 PM
HibsMax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a common problem, it happens to my car too. If you search around the forums you should find plenty of hits and potential solutions. My solution so far is to just never fill up. I've been doing that for a couple of years now. Next time I take my car into Dodge for something I'll mention it.....again (the first time I mentioned it they played dumb).

Old 06-16-2010, 07:14 PM
melannben

I have the Electronic throttle control light coming on now. Dealer said it may be the PCM. Gonna take it tomorrow to find out. (fingers crossed)

Old 06-18-2010, 01:30 PM
melannben
Talking Found it!

I have a ruptured purge solenoid. A $43 part, not bad. The dealer had to relearn my electronic throttle control also. Get it back Monday. I hope she's fixed!

Old 02-04-2015, 10:00 AM
DymosDodge

This is happening to my 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T. Plugs are fine only got 25k miles on the new ones and replaced fuel pump at the same time. I will put gas in it and a few miles down the road it hesitates and stops. How did the purge solenoid go for you? Wondering if I can put it in myself? Thanks

Old 02-04-2015, 01:39 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DymosDodge
This is happening to my 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T. Plugs are fine only got 25k miles on the new ones and replaced fuel pump at the same time. I will put gas in it and a few miles down the road it hesitates and stops. How did the purge solenoid go for you? Wondering if I can put it in myself? Thanks

DymosDodge
I am sorry you are experiencing the hesitation in your vehicle. Can you PM your vin number? I would like to check if your vehicle has the X53-Lifetime Warranty Extension for the fuel tank.

Service Bulletin 14-002-14
SUBJECT:
Engine Stall Immediately Following Fuel Tank Fill-Up (X53 Lifetime Warranty Extension)
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the fuel tank with a revised part.
MODELS:
2005 - 2006 LX 300/Charger/Magnum
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 19 gallon fuel tank (sales
code NFK).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may experience an engine stall condition just after filling the fuel tank. The integral mulit-functional control valve may allow liquid fuel to enter the evaporative emissions system causing a rich fuel condition when the purge system is initiated.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:21 AM
DymosDodge

I definitely have a 19 gallon fuel tank. 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T Hemi. I have had the fuel pump replaced in the last 2 years or 25k miles. VIN # 2D4GZ57246H148877

Old 02-09-2015, 08:34 AM
DymosDodge
Unhappy Stall After Fill Up

I definitely have a 19 gallon fuel tank. 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T Hemi. I have had the fuel pump replaced in the last 2 years or 25k miles. VIN # 2D4GZ57246H148877

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
DymosDodge
I am sorry you are experiencing the hesitation in your vehicle. Can you PM your vin number? I would like to check if your vehicle has the X53-Lifetime Warranty Extension for the fuel tank.

Service Bulletin 14-002-14
SUBJECT:
Engine Stall Immediately Following Fuel Tank Fill-Up (X53 Lifetime Warranty Extension)
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the fuel tank with a revised part.
MODELS:
2005 - 2006 LX 300/Charger/Magnum
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 19 gallon fuel tank (sales
code NFK).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may experience an engine stall condition just after filling the fuel tank. The integral mulit-functional control valve may allow liquid fuel to enter the evaporative emissions system causing a rich fuel condition when the purge system is initiated.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:59 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DymosDodge

After further reviewing your case, unfortunately you do not have the X53 Lifetime Warranty Extension. That being said, we would still like to see what else we can do for you. Please check your PM for further information.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:48 PM
ronpbeck
Default full tank stalling.

Your gas tank is at fault. Dodge will replace it under warranty. They extended the warranty forever. Not a recall, but just like one. Contact your local dealer and be ready to wait a year for it to be done

Quick Reply: 2005 Magnum R/T Full tank of gas & goes dead while driving