Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Tire questions???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 01:21 PM
kmag50
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire questions???

First of all, I really do like the wheels that come with the RT. My problem is I would like to replace the tires because those Contis just arent my idea of the tire that car should have on it. I am sure this question has been asked a few hundred times but are there any tires made that I could install on the stock wheels? Am told by my local tire guy that you need to check inside the vehicles drivers door to see if there are any alternative types you can put on to keep everything legal...what is all of that about? If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.....thanks in advance....Kent

Old 05-18-2005, 03:00 PM
via500
Professional
Default RE: Tire questions???

The legal thing is you should not put tires with a lower speed rating than the car's top speed. The idea is that if you overrun the tires and there is a wreck that is negligence - (only commenting on the tires). So no car manufacturer, dealer or tire store can recommend tires like that. Of course it is perfectly ok to go higher - say install Z rated tires on a car with a top speeed of 130.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:30 PM
MyRT
Professional

3 good choices are BFG g-Force T/A KDW 2 255 x 55 x 18, Nitto NT 420S 255 x 55 x 18 and BFG g-Force T/A KDWS 245 x 55 x 18. I will be changing to the KDW 2's in the next few weeks.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:56 PM
kmag50
Rookie

Thanks for answering my questions....I will look into those MyRT and go from there....thanks again.

Old 05-18-2005, 05:56 PM
FlatEric
Veteran

I have Pirelli P7s in the original size, 225/60 R18 100W, they transformed my RT AWD, it is like night and day. Much tighter handling, very smooth. Speed rating is 270 KPM or 165 MPH. (That is Mach .22)

Old 05-18-2005, 09:47 PM
bobschm

LOL! Go to BFG site and punch in the Magnum RT RWD and site says there are NO BFG tires that fit. Good Grief. As soon as these Contis wear down I'll replace them with something more all season. They're Ok in the summer, but there's no way I'm sliding through another winter on these rags.

I like those KDWS tires. Couldn't find any KDW 2 tires on the BFG site, though.

Boston Bob

Old 05-19-2005, 12:18 AM
kmag50
Rookie

I am looking into the BFG KDWS....called the tire guy today and he is going to give me a quote on those.....they look like a great tire and they have to be alot better then those stock things. Does anyone know why Daimler put on those Contis in the first place? Anyhow, can't wait to find out about them and hopefully have 4 of them on my car soon.

Old 05-19-2005, 12:59 AM
stereotypt

ORIGINAL: via500

The legal thing is you should not put tires with a lower speed rating than the car's top speed. The idea is that if you overrun the tires and there is a wreck that is negligence - (only commenting on the tires). So no car manufacturer, dealer or tire store can recommend tires like that. Of course it is perfectly ok to go higher - say install Z rated tires on a car with a top speeed of 130.
This is true, and not only will they not recommend those, they can not mount them to your car. Alot of places (if you're adimate about getting a particular tire that does not meet the requirements) will mount them to your wheels and balance them if you ask them, but they cannot legally put them on your car.

Quick Reply: Tire questions???