Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

SXT fuel MPG

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 05:01 PM
dialtone500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SXT fuel MPG

Hi

I have had my SXT Magnum 3.5 L for about a month

How are you finding the gas mileage? I drive 30 k each day 1/2 hwy/city.

Mileage is about half of posted

I am try premium fuel for a week or two which was recommended elsewhere on this
forum

Has any one tried a K&N intake systems on a SXT does it affect the warranty

Old 05-19-2005, 06:30 PM
MagnumSXT
Professional
Default RE: SXT fuel MPG

I have a 2 mile commute to work in my SXT. My first tank was before I read the manual, and had regular unleaded in it. Ran poorly and got bad MPG. Since then have used mid grade (89) as the manual states, and was getting 18 MPG in town. Added the K&N and the Jet Stage 1 chip at the same time and immediately noticed a 10% increase in MPG. Now getting 20-21 consistantly. I always drive in town, and always have my foot in it. Almost always red-line it in first gear so I'm not doing myself any favors on gas mileage. Even with that, I'm getting close to or above what the window sticker said I would in town. Never been on a trip long enough to burn through more than 1/3 of a tank at one shot so don't really know what my highway MPG is.

Oh, and the K&N should not affect your warranty in any way. Hopefully I'll never have to find out. Got my aircharger at highhorseperformance.com

Old 05-19-2005, 09:27 PM
Magman3
Professional

Which K&N setup do you have? Cost? I have been getting poor gas mileage but I've been using regular unleaded. I think I will try a tank or two of mid-grade and see if I get any better. Jet stage 1 kit, is it worth the money?

Old 05-20-2005, 07:11 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

I just made a 1200 mile trip. I use 89 here, luckily in NE it is the cheaper gas. I ran the tank down to 2 gals(put in 16 gals). Got just over 30mpg (75mph relatively flat terrain). Everywhere else it seemed that the 89 was $.10 higher. The manual says that 87 can be used but 89 is reccomended. So being the cheap b*stard I am, I put in 87. Dropped my mpg to 26.7. I fueled again with 87 just to see, same thing. From there on out I put in 89. It took 2 tanks to get it to break 30. This is a car that had 2 adults, 2 kids (and a puppy on the return trip) and filled the rear to the roof with junk. I used major brand gas at all stops.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:32 PM
MagnumSXT
Professional

I got the K&N 63-1117. As far as I know, it's the only complete intake system out for the 3.5. You can do the Drop in filter swap and get some improvement, but man I love the sound of this thing from 4500 to 6500. Sounds awesome, you can just hear the air rushing into our little hemispherical shaped combustion chambers. aarrrgghhh.... Oh, and I got the MPG increase I was after. 10% increase ain't bad at all for the money.

The cost was more than I would have liked, but it was MUCH cheaper on line that buying at a local parts store.

Jet Stage1, worth the money... I can't really say. I think there was a performance increase. With the combination of these two items there is definitely a big difference in the way it pulls. But it's hard for me to quantify whether it was worth the cost. I keep having to take it out, unhook the battery, etc... hopefully I'm done with all that now and can get a couple hundred miles on it so the stock computer can get fully through the learning phases of the change. I would buy it again, so I guess I would say yes, it was worth the $$ to me.

Oh and for the best bang for the buck mod, if you don't have foglights get the foglight kit. It's the factory kit for $109 and makes a bigger appearance difference on the SXT's than anything I've seen. IMHO.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:32 AM
LtlDad
Professional

I agree with all that MagnumSXT has said.... may want to do a grille swap, too.

I only have the K&N and haven't noticed any major increases in MPG...the chip might the way to go.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:39 PM
RIPSIGUY
Captain

I have an RT for a company demo, I average 18-19 with combined driving. Around town it will drop to about 14-15. If I beat the crap out of it, the worst I have seen is 13.1.

Old 05-24-2005, 08:36 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i had the magnum with the lowly 2.7 for a week, i was pretty dissappinted with the mileage...i thought that it would at least be as good as the mileage of my stratus.

Old 05-25-2005, 02:06 AM
Magman3
Professional

I've got the RT appearance package, but thinking of going with an aftermarket grill setup. I checked out the K&N setup, but at over $300 I think I have to pass, not to mention its not carb legal, or street legal for that matter. The only one I found was for offroad use only. I have been looking on the otherhand at the Airraid setup which is half the money with a proven 12 HP gain from the Magnum. I also am looking at a unit made by 360airintakez that runs around $200 and is street legal. The only downside is that the kit looks cheap, that's why I'm leaning toward the Airraid kit. I also put my first tank of midgrade in tonight in hopes of getting a little more out of the tank.

Old 05-26-2005, 04:11 PM
LtlDad
Professional

I got a couple of questions:

1) When are each 'refilling' (Thought it was bad to run tank dry before refilling).

2) I think when the idiot light comes on there is still like 3 gal left (since I just filled up and only got 15 in the tank).

3) How is the MPG being calculated and is it truely on the 18 gal or on 15 gal or possibly 13 gal (If 1/4 tank left)?

MAGMAN3 - Definately get an aftermarket grille. I have the TRex and IMO think it is a MUST.

Quick Reply: SXT fuel MPG