Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

no downshift

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:51 AM
bobby burke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy no downshift

Today..first time ,kicked down to get onto highway..car bogs ,no shift ,no power,backed off and can drive normally,if babied.Never a hint of trouble before this. Wonder if connected to constant idle problem,as well.ECM ?? Have extended Maximum service contract,so covered,but at 30k kind of disheartening for my Hemi R/T.Dealer bound asap.Wish me luck with service.Any similar happenings to the crew out there?

Old 08-23-2010, 11:45 AM
bobby burke

I know this will sound nuts,but as i was cleaning the Magnum today the wife says to me that ..even though she is not a mechanic,didn't some of my idling problems begin after i replaced the OEM oil filler cap with an after market billet one.i remember it was not an easy install and never seemed to seat properly.So to satisfy her...you have to do these things when your married,I replaced the shiny R/T billet logoed one for the factory cap that I kept,"just in case".We took the Hemi out so i could show her that this was not the problem,and believe it or not the rough idle is now GONE!!! Even the latest kick down trans quirk is GONE too.I know,I know it seems impossible,and after hearing a ton of I told you so s ,I am just happy that the gremlins are gone,I guess fairy tales do come true.Thanks to the Man Upstairs...He must drive a HEMI.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:48 PM
NJ1
Default Downshift

The 5 speed automatic has a protection built in ECM if abused it will go into protection mode after shutting the car off it will reset but if happens 3 consecutive times it will not reset and only the dealership can reset it $$$$$.

Quick Reply: no downshift