Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

DRL fogs

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 01:34 AM
TxRide
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL fogs

question to electrical wizards: how to rewire MAG to turn fogs into daytime running lights(cause my low beams are HIDs)- preferably with "fog light" button as a cut-off? can it be done by bypass within a main light switch? aftermartket mods? ideas much appreaciated.
greg

Old 06-01-2005, 06:55 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker
Default RE: DRL fogs

Hmm, I think that the control for everything now is part of the Computer system in the car. There was some discussion about adding foglights and if the dealer can reprogram or is it a factory reload. You might have to bypass all the computer stuff and wire the lights to a relay that is switched. And even bypassing the stock wiring my give off error codes to the computer. Gotta love the age of computers

Old 06-02-2005, 12:47 PM
via500
Professional

I assume you want automatic control - so maybe this will work. If you have the convenience package install the auto headlamp switch - took me 2 minutes. Set to"A" and it will turn your lights on automatically. Now for continuous automatic operation just fool it by covering the dash sensor. It will always think it's dark and always switch on the lights. Set fog lamps to "on" and now they will come on too. If you don't want the HID's on at this time just interrupt their power source with a toggle switch.

Old 06-02-2005, 02:49 PM
FlatEric
Veteran

That would be illegal here, can't have your fogs on except with low beams, and not without a reason, like limited visability due to FOG, rain, or snow.

I like those rules...

Old 06-02-2005, 07:03 PM
via500
Professional

"illegal"? what a concept! You must be in Germany - Oh yeah - you ARE! In the US and Canada the ONLY thing that's illegal (in a practical sense - as in what will get you pulled over) is speeding. In fact a new study has shown the dumbest US drivers are in NE states. As I recall in the article only 20% were able to pass a simple US drivers test. NW states were the best in the 80s. US drivers, police and legislators don't take driving seriously. And they should only turn on their fogs when conditions warrant? And what about eating lunch, reading a newspaper, yelling at their spouse on the cell, yelling at the kids in the back, driving with a great dane in their lap, doing the "lincoln lean", taking pictures of whatever landmark is around - saw one US idiot take pictures of the Arch leaning out his window and HE WAS DRIVING. Illegal? what a concept!!

Old 06-03-2005, 02:21 AM
TxRide
Rookie

thanks guys, but all it is not what what i had in mind -that may be my fault of not being clear.
i need a "hack" that switches fogs on (and only fogs) whenever engine is running AND headlights are off.
i know it seems complicated - and it may be - but i'm still hoping that there is some easy hook up to accomplish that...

Old 06-03-2005, 06:58 AM
vyvian

i don't know how to get drl fogs. but it is a pain to replace the foglight bulb. so if you get it to work you'll be dismantling the wheel wells alot. best of luck in your endevour!

[22 years old, '05 silver magnum r/t]

Old 06-03-2005, 11:12 AM
digitalebola

ORIGINAL: TxRide

thanks guys, but all it is not what what i had in mind -that may be my fault of not being clear.
i need a "hack" that switches fogs on (and only fogs) whenever engine is running AND headlights are off.
i know it seems complicated - and it may be - but i'm still hoping that there is some easy hook up to accomplish that...
DRLs have been discussed elsewhere. In the Canadian version of the Magnum the DRLs are actually the HIGH beams at 50% power. Some forum members have said the dealer can activate this feature for the American Magnums with StarScan. I know you said you have HID for you low beams, but if your high beams are stock you might try this option.

J

Old 06-03-2005, 02:40 PM
bobf

You could try this:

http://estore.websitepros.com/802805/Detail.bok?no=219

it's made for headlights, but you can see if it works with fogs.
I'm thinking about it myself

Quick Reply: DRL fogs