Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

I am thinking of buying a 2005 magnum

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 03:10 AM
cleaningman94
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am thinking of buying a 2005 magnum

Right now i have a ford expedition but want more of a sports car i was wondering if any of you could let me know what i should look out for when i am looking at them.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:59 PM
honu
Amateur

As with any used car, make sure that it's been well maintained.

The 2005's front upper strut mounts were a bit weak. On subsequent years, they were re-enforced, but the '05's can be easily strengthened by installing a lateral strut brace... it's a bolt on job.

Some of the steering components are prone to early wear, but again, are easily replaced.

Some folks experienced a leak of trans fluid through an "O" ring, but if you're looking at an '05, it's not going to leak or it's been fixed.

I have an '07 R/T and it has been absolutely bullet proof, had a front strut commit suicide, but was repaired and no problems since.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:06 PM
cleaningman94

Thanks this really helps i will be buying it in May because then i will be getting 15000 from my mom for my dads life insurance.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Carolina Magnum
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to put down anyone else's cars but I would NOT recommend a 2.7 6cly, IMO this engine is just a bit too small for such a heavy car. And I would NOT recommend one with a 4 speed auto; I'd get the 5 speed with auto stick. We had to replace our trans (4speed) at 17,100 miles. We have FOUR MAGNUMS, an 06 SRT, an 06 SXT 3.5L and two 05 R/T's. I honestly would recommend the hemi 5.7 liter; it gets as good gas mileage as our 3.5L V6 and uses the same 89 Octane. However we LOVE all FOUR of ours!

Name:  DSCN0490.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  272.1 KB

Old 10-24-2010, 10:59 PM
cleaningman94

Thanks i was actually of thinking of getting the 05 with a 5.7l hemi. Do they have good take off thats what i like about my expedition i have now it has a performence built motor but the tranny started slipping and parts are going out in it so i will look at those as soon as i get life insurance where do you think i should look for one because i am moving to a small town in mi.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:51 PM
03MopaRamman
Captain

Hey Guys not to jack Cleaningman94's Thread but I am also getting an 05, so hence the 3rd Gen RAM Guy learking over here in your threads.LOL... Hope to be over here more once I get the Car in my driveway. I always luved the Magnum and finally found one with low Miles (53K Kilometers/30 K miles) and am just waiting to have the deal closed hopefully this weekend. Strut Brace is on my list. Thanks Guys. Dan.

BTW: The specs I read on one of the reviews for "Take-off"....was....0-60 in 6.3 seconds...which is Not Bad at all.

Last edited by 03MopaRamman; 10-30-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:00 PM
Carolina Magnum
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cleaningman94
Thanks i was actually of thinking of getting the 05 with a 5.7l hemi. Do they have good take off thats what i like about my expedition i have now it has a performence built motor but the tranny started slipping and parts are going out in it so i will look at those as soon as i get life insurance where do you think i should look for one because i am moving to a small town in mi.
I don't dog my cars; even the SRT; however I do get down on my R/T more than I care to admit... LOL IN fact we just went to a cruise in and they had drag/street cars doing burnouts.... I was near the last to leave and thought.... Hmmm, never tried a burn out with my R/T so I back up where they had done all their burnouts, turned off the ESP, tapped shifter into first, opened my DMH electric cut outs and gave 'er a whirl! Holy COW, I didn't even know thay would do that! It was AWESOME!

A short video of my R/T just with the exhaust on it; NOT of the burnout as I didn't know IT was gonna do that ~ LOL~

Quick Reply: I am thinking of buying a 2005 magnum