Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Alarm Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 02:42 AM
Magman3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Question

I'm getting ready to focus my attention to the inside of my Mag, now that I've got done with the outside (besides my ghost flames). I'm looking at starting out first with a nice alarm before installing my stereo components. I have a small 10" and amp with Alpine 9813 headunit but I'm upgrading very soon. Has anyone installed any alarms on their Mags. If so, what did you go with. I want something with remote start, power doors (of course), and maybe even power window option. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-05-2005, 01:01 PM
MagnumRT
Captain
Default RE: Alarm Question

Today's cars are so complicated, you better find someone who knows what they are doing.

I speak from experience, you need someone who will guarantee their work.

Bob

Old 06-05-2005, 09:36 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adding some alarm systems with all the additional options (like power windows, remote start etc.) can reek havoc on the factory system. I have been there many times and can tell you that you don't want the repair bill for hours of diagnostics time to figure out that the aftermarket alarm caused whatever problem you are having.

Old 06-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Magman3
Professional

I've had aftermarket alarms in every vehicle I've owned except for my Ram and I've never had a problem. I can tell you I would rather take my chances with having a "Warrantied" alarm problem vs. having my stereo stolen. I've had cars broken into and thousands worth of merchandise stolen. I live in a pretty descent area, but I don't want to have the worry that my car may get broken into. I understand that alarms are not full proof, but its definately better than having nothing.

Old 06-05-2005, 11:35 PM
dodgemech
All Star

I may have not expressed my concerns accurately. I'm not worried about whether or not your alarm works or not. When they are installed the shop will hack into the factory harness for B+, grnd, door switches, window switches, lock inputs, etc... All of these items are on the buss and very precise voltages, when you introduce a new component you change the resistance and therefore the voltage. This causes problems, usually intermittent and not right away. The result is customers improperly blaming the car and the service center for a problem that they introduced.

It's your car; you are welcome to do what you want. Aftermarket electrical tapped in to a new car with a complex bus network WILL eventually cause problems.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:58 AM
Magman3
Professional

I see what you are saying. I probably will not opt for the power window option, but I've had great experience with remote starts in vehicles. They are getting more and more popular and the kits are getting less complex. I can see where installing something that controls your windows may cause problems, but I don't thing the power doors would be problem. I have to see what they can do because I already have the factory keyless entry system installed from factory. I don't want to have to carry around my oversize key and a transmitter. I'm just trying to get ideas on what some of the other guys are doing with alarms on their Mags, this way I can see whether or not problems exist. I appreciate the info dodgemech, dont' think I'm being a ***** or a know it all because honestly I know nothing, this is why I must rely on others and their input. I may just hold off and put the $500 toward something else, we'll see.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:22 AM
dodgemech
All Star

The factory has already provided you with a car that is virtually un-stealable. If all you need is something to ward off would be thieves form gaining access to your stereo equipment how about just a simple door switch alarm?

Old 06-06-2005, 11:43 PM
undropped
Veteran

hey denny, on the remote start front does dodge make a factory kit for the magnums?

Old 06-07-2005, 03:00 AM
dodgemech
All Star

Yes, I have installed a few Mopar kits. Pretty straight forward.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Hemi_Hearse

I am thinking about an alarm too.

The kid who delivered my car to me (at the dealership) used to work on the other side of the law, used to steal cars and such. He said a blinking light has as much effect on a thief as an alarm. He said insurance is your best bet. He said not to waste my money on a Club.

I asked him about kill switches and the like and he went back to the blinking light.

I asked a kid at BB about the keyless entry and he informed me that there is a chip that will mimmick the chip in your keyless entry that you keep in your car in case the ignition needs the signal to start.

I asked him (back to the ex-thief) about VIN etching and he said most thiefs do not pay attention.

I have been pricing alarms, an entry level Viper with basic features will run from $220 to $350, does that seem out of line?

I read somewhere that remote starters can mess with your Magnum, I would suggest sticking with a basic feature set alarm.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Alarm Question