Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Lugnut's on these cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Wile C
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lugnut's on these cars

Apparently MOPAR or the German side of things, got cheap on the lug nuts for the RT's atleast, and the caps they put on them change in size actually get wider requiring a different size socket to remove them over time. The word is that they start off as 22 mm and then depending on how they were treated go to a 22.5 mm size socket rendering the lug wrench we get with the cars useless if needed. I went to Advance Auto and bought a set of aftermarket lugnuts to replace the oem and they werent the correct depth I was told by my mechanic. Anyone know the right size or what I should get to replace the stock lug nuts? I dont' want a situation to come up on the side of the road and not be able to change a tire. I can't believe how cheap DC got with this..you pay 35k for a car and they skimp on the lug nuts..go figure. Just like the alloy coming off my rims..pretty shabby quality in these things. 33k on the car.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:01 AM
46FD04
Rookie

Same problem with my '07 SXT.

Very crappy lug nuts, caps loosened, expanded with corrosion, needed a hammer to get the tire wrench on them, AWFUL!

I replaced them with Gorilla Lug Nuts, solid stainless steel, no caps.

My size is 14mm x 1.50 Acorn

Old 12-23-2010, 04:25 PM
cpmgrp

Happened to me while getting tires. One cap popped off the nut and freaked out the tech. It's just the cap. Official advice: just crimp the cap back on (adhesive optional) and tap with a brass or rubber hammer.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:47 PM
japhy

I have had two different garages strip or cross thread the lug nuts during tire rotations on my 05 magnum (once by a dealer). The last time the nut stripped and had to be drilled out to get it off. In my situation, I believe it is a mix of sloppy mechanics and poor materials.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Ramdit
Amateur

The lug nuts are 21mm. The problem is the people use the incorrect size socket and bugger up the covers.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:11 PM
honu
Amateur

Use an icepick and needlenose pliers to rmove the "stainless" covers. Use a smaller socket to remove the lugs and throw them as far as you can into the largest body of water you can find.

Lot of guys are using the Gorilla lugs... if you decide to use them, just make sure to get the ones with the proper angle on the seat.

Quick Reply: Lugnut's on these cars