Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

What Type Of SubWoofer Box?

Old 06-24-2005, 02:22 PM
RiotWithin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Type Of SubWoofer Box?

Sealed, Ported, or BandPass? I wanted bandpass now that I can fit one, but the installer said he wouldn't recommend it. I have 2 AudioBahn 12" Eternal Subs, and AudioBahn's A2300HCT Amp. They should be running at 600 watts RMS a piece. So which box with that combo will sound the best with the vehicle I am working with?

Old 06-24-2005, 03:48 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker
Default RE: What Type Of SubWoofer Box?

Try the DF Audio/Visual. There are some guys that work in stereo shops for a more informed answer. Building a box is more then just slapping some wood together. I am an amature builder. Design type is dependant upon what you are looking for also, SPL vs sound quality. I was a musician and noticed that most the professional bass speakers for bass guitar were either sealed or bandpass. If I remember remember correctly the basic statement, sealed for truth of reproduction, ported for more bass output and bandpass for best SPL, hold true. In the studio all the speakers are sealed and for live performance they were bandpass. There should have been a spec sheet with the speakers. The Audiobahn site didnt list the recommended enclosure size for you speaker. I have seen people put in a 15" sub in a box that was about the same size as the shipping box and wondered why it didnt "Boom" like in the showroom. They didnt realize that the recommenfded box size was bigger than the car it self haha. Now there are some speakers designed for small boxes, Kicker SoloBaric comes to mind. Looking at the site, the AudioBahn speakers are designed for athestics with flame cage design. Unless you are using plexiglass to show them off, it seems kinds of a waste. Well I hope that this is rambling is helping abit.

Here is some sites that I have found. Some are design aides and etc.

carstereo.com

12volt.com

Old 06-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Magman3
Professional

My experience with bandpass and ported is that they sound great with rap/r&b, but are a bit loud for r&r. It just depends on how much bass you want. Also you get a tighter thump with a sealed box over the ported/bandpass. I have ran sealed boxes in the last three vehicles I owned, but bandpass/ported in the others. I have to say overall the sealed boxes sound better. Like 356Magnum said, a lot of it has to do with your speakers.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:31 PM
chefboyrlee
Professional

fist thing you have to determine is if the sub is designed to play in a sealed box or ported or either. most likely either. now if you port, you will take up a lot of trunk space. to save the most trunk space go with a sealed wedge type box. i'm having these same issues with my set up. but from my experience, a ported box can sound great as long as it's designed properly.

i haven't heard any bandpass boxes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Type Of SubWoofer Box?