Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

3.5L stumbling, CEL0300, TSB carboned valves.....common issue??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:38 PM
JOSHMAN00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5L stumbling, CEL0300, TSB carboned valves.....common issue??

Well as the title states I am wondering how common the TSB for the 05-06 LX models with the 3.5 V6 is? Long story short I have had a few posts here about my wifes car acting up and it seems this maybe the culprite. Basically the car will "stumble" the odd time when leaving a light accelerating. The throttle just "pauses" kinda like the car goes into limp mode for about four seconds or so then clear up and takes off. The odd time the CEL will come on and if I check the codes i get P0300 which is "random cylinder misfire" code so thats not too much help.

So after my research here I have found that there is a TSB for kinda my situation and the CEL code too and it has to do with the valve stems carboning up and then valves being held open by carbon therefore the engine goes into limp mode. The dodge cure for this tsb is to have new valve keepers and springs installed that turn the vavles a couple degrees everytime they close which is supposed to "grind" the carbon off the valve surface and let it full close. Now this being said my car is off warranty and a TSB is not covered by chrysler once the warranty is out so I would be looking at footing the bill myself to see if this does cure it. Wondering if anyone has had this same issue and fixed it by having the TSB on the heads/valves done to cure it?

If it does then great, if not I just spent alot more $$ to get no results. After talking to a chrysler tech freind of mine who said he has seen this issue a few times said they have done it to a few and it works for 10,000-15,000 miles or so then the problem returns. Apparently the condition for carboning up can be worsened by short drives where obvoisly the engine oil does not reach full operating temp. That being said the car is a short trip commuter for my wife with only about a five minute drive each way during the week but we do try to get it on the highway every weekend for a good run to try to burn out anything and warm it up good. I really like the car itself but my wife is getting really annoyed and has totally lost confidence that the car will not leave her stranded some day. It is a saftey issue to a degree to if a person ever needed to turn left on a green light with a car coming quick and you hit the gas and it has a five second stumble that might be enought not to get through the intersection and bam!

I have been recommended to try Seafoam so I have ran a bottle in the engine oil itself last two changes and also put a bottle in every tank for the first few times now every other fill up. It initially seemed to help but now the car has been doing it again recently and I still add seafoam every other tank for now incase it is something related to gummed up vavles that stuff should be the best option to clean the heads out I would think? BTW I had a full major tune-up when i bought the car at 55,000 miles including plugs so that should have nothing to do with it

Long story short as stated in other posts I have been battling this problem almost as long as we have had the car now (8 months) and to be honest am getting tired of it. I am not wanting to spend big $$ to tear into the motor and if the problem returns in a year down the road how much further ahead am I? OR am I better cutting my losses and selling the car for something different if this is a common problem with the 3.5 engines?

Old 03-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Historicalist
Default 3.5L TSB, Rotate the valves

Had an '06 Charger with the 3.5L engine with the same problem. We got nervous the issue would return, so we sold it now have an '08 5.7L Charger. Sounds like we made the right move, given the comments from your automotive friends. It's a shame because the 3.5L seemed like such a good engine. Now we're wondering if Chrysler has permanently resolved this issue on later model years or how the new 3.6L engines will perform?

Edit: The issue happend sometime between 50,000-60,000 miles.

Last edited by Historicalist; 03-19-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 AM
skidz

Originally Posted by JOSHMAN00
Well as the title states I am wondering how common the TSB for the 05-06 LX models with the 3.5 V6 is? Long story short I have had a few posts here about my wifes car acting up and it seems this maybe the culprite. Basically the car will "stumble" the odd time when leaving a light accelerating. The throttle just "pauses" kinda like the car goes into limp mode for about four seconds or so then clear up and takes off. The odd time the CEL will come on and if I check the codes i get P0300 which is "random cylinder misfire" code so thats not too much help.

So after my research here I have found that there is a TSB for kinda my situation and the CEL code too and it has to do with the valve stems carboning up and then valves being held open by carbon therefore the engine goes into limp mode. The dodge cure for this tsb is to have new valve keepers and springs installed that turn the vavles a couple degrees everytime they close which is supposed to "grind" the carbon off the valve surface and let it full close. Now this being said my car is off warranty and a TSB is not covered by chrysler once the warranty is out so I would be looking at footing the bill myself to see if this does cure it. Wondering if anyone has had this same issue and fixed it by having the TSB on the heads/valves done to cure it?

If it does then great, if not I just spent alot more $$ to get no results. After talking to a chrysler tech freind of mine who said he has seen this issue a few times said they have done it to a few and it works for 10,000-15,000 miles or so then the problem returns. Apparently the condition for carboning up can be worsened by short drives where obvoisly the engine oil does not reach full operating temp. That being said the car is a short trip commuter for my wife with only about a five minute drive each way during the week but we do try to get it on the highway every weekend for a good run to try to burn out anything and warm it up good. I really like the car itself but my wife is getting really annoyed and has totally lost confidence that the car will not leave her stranded some day. It is a saftey issue to a degree to if a person ever needed to turn left on a green light with a car coming quick and you hit the gas and it has a five second stumble that might be enought not to get through the intersection and bam!

I have been recommended to try Seafoam so I have ran a bottle in the engine oil itself last two changes and also put a bottle in every tank for the first few times now every other fill up. It initially seemed to help but now the car has been doing it again recently and I still add seafoam every other tank for now incase it is something related to gummed up vavles that stuff should be the best option to clean the heads out I would think? BTW I had a full major tune-up when i bought the car at 55,000 miles including plugs so that should have nothing to do with it

Long story short as stated in other posts I have been battling this problem almost as long as we have had the car now (8 months) and to be honest am getting tired of it. I am not wanting to spend big $$ to tear into the motor and if the problem returns in a year down the road how much further ahead am I? OR am I better cutting my losses and selling the car for something different if this is a common problem with the 3.5 engines?
Curious is you ever "resolved" the issue with the wife's car. Mine has done that since 20K on the OD. Still have it and it still does it. I don't trust it either. I run Mopar CCC through it about every 6 months but at this point I think it needs valves. I just wonder how long it will run correctly after doing them before starting up again...

Quick Reply: 3.5L stumbling, CEL0300, TSB carboned valves.....common issue??