Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Beat Bad!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 03:58 PM
AJ_Gil
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beat Bad!!

I've had a couple of 0-75mph street races with evil Mustangs.
With my intake mods & Magnaflow mufflers have been on a roll beating the 2 I've messed with.
The other day going to work a obviously modded Mustang kept playing around so I gave it a go when we hit a light in a low traffic area.
Had me by a fender in 1st (dopey-*** me left the AC on) but he took off like a shot in second.
I noticed the SVT emblem as I was getting a good look at his rear so I looked it up at work.
Dang thing is supercharged stock and he had it modded so I felt a bit better (still hate loosing to anything Ford).
Folks....you see that SVT sticker, just smile & try to look faster

Old 06-28-2005, 09:47 PM
billapex
Professional
Default RE: Beat Bad!!

ORIGINAL: AJ_Gil

I noticed the SVT emblem as I was getting a good look at his rear so I looked it up at work.
Dang thing is supercharged stock and he had it modded so I felt a bit better (still hate loosing to anything Ford).
Folks....you see that SVT sticker, just smile & try to look faster
Having owned a Mustang performance shop in the past, we built '03-'04 Cobras that easily made 440-475hp at the wheels with some relatively simple mods. The most we made on an '03-'04 Cobra was just under 700rwhp. It was so insanely fast that you couldn't even give it more than half throttle, or you'd just spin the 315 drag radials on it.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:30 AM
AJ_Gil
Rookie

Oh yeah!!!!!
That thing was a rocket.
I pulled up at the next light (back in traffic) laughing my *** off, gave the guy a thumbs up and went off scratching my head

Old 06-29-2005, 03:01 PM
smokey0810

I hate to be the voice of reason, but this is one of the reasons I don't race. You never know what the other guy has under the hood, unless you have seen it first hand. He could be driving a beat up P.O.S. with some serious horsepower invested under the hood. If people want to race me on the street (which is VERY rare) I just tell them I cannot afford to. No ticket or accident in the WORLD is worth the bragging rights. I just smile and agree with them....With the old car, the LT-1 under the hood and black & white paint scheme spoke for itself. The new ride has HEMI written on the side, which tells most people I can really get on it when need be.
Remember, when you think about street racing, think about how much your insurance premium is going to go up with a ticket or accident....

Old 06-29-2005, 09:30 PM
MattRobertson
Professional

Look at the tailpipes. That will tell the tale on half the Mustangs out there that have just body work. But if its a new one and it says "GT" on it with two pipes run in the other direction cuz only a bonehead driver will lose to you.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:33 AM
magrt

with equal parts (blower,nos,ext) the mustang will have to work on it, to out run the rt. as for the new GT they will need some work if it is an auto. already out ran 3 GT mustangs and not impressed, ask my neibor he is still pissed. standards are alittle faster but a stick would make the 282 geared rt faster also. if trying to compare just compare wallets not cars thats who wins.

Old 06-30-2005, 10:57 AM
AJ_Gil
Rookie

Me too, I beat a new GT last week.

My thoughts on street racing.
It's all about using your head a little bit, be aware of your surroundings (traffic, cops etc. etc.) and LET OFF SOMEWHERE NEAR THE SPEED LIMIT (ok, at least by 70-80 ).
I see kids racing through traffic not wanting to let off and that's how people get killed.
Florida just upped the penalties for street racing to a year in jail because of these boneheads.
We lost our local (legal) dragstrip to developers years ago so now it's a 1 1/2 hour drive to the nearest strip for test & tune and you're lucky if you get 2 runs it's so crowded. Plus they only run test & tune on a weeknight so I'm waiting until I have a day off to get up there and get some legit times.

What the hell is the point of having a "Hemi" if you don't get on it once in a while???
30 grand so people can look at your hemi sticker and go "wow"???
They market these cars for speed and then slap your *** in jail for trying it.....#$%@!

I go to car shows and it never fails, I ask some guy sitting next to a blown roadster "wow, that thing must be a rocket" and get a reply like "I don't know I never get on it" and I walk away shaking my head. What's the point??????????

I'm coming up on 60 and have been a "gearhead" since my teens, have a "safe driver" designation on my license for years.
It's all about picking your spots and USING YOUR HEAD!!!
If I wanted to just look cool the custom PT Cruiser I put together for my wife fits the bill for alot less $$$$$$$.

Old 06-30-2005, 10:51 PM
BillB
Rookie

It's funny, those mustangs never seem to want to race when I'm in the Viper.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:01 PM
illy
Professional

If I were a betting man, and a 2005 Magnum RT and a 2005 Mustang GT lined up at a 1/4 mile staging light, I would put my money on the GT. It is a bit down on power but a lot lighter, I am just being realistic here as a Magnum RT owner myself. I know for a fact that my little 2002 Subaru WRX is much faster than my magnum and it is lucky to put 190hp down at the wheels (AWD).

Sometimes speed isn't about HP... A big heavy wagon is not the ideal configuration for a drag strip or track car.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:26 AM
magrt

ORIGINAL: illy

If I were a betting man, and a 2005 Magnum RT and a 2005 Mustang GT lined up at a 1/4 mile staging light, I would put my money on the GT. It is a bit down on power but a lot lighter, I am just being realistic here as a Magnum RT owner myself. I know for a fact that my little 2002 Subaru WRX is much faster than my magnum and it is lucky to put 190hp down at the wheels (AWD).

Sometimes speed isn't about HP... A big heavy wagon is not the ideal configuration for a drag strip or track car.

hp to weight is real close but the torque to weight the magnum has it beat, and you know much about drag raceing hp sales cars torque wins races. not to add that at the track an auto gt can not beat the rt, bolt on to bolt on. if you need video i can send you some of my neighbors gt on the loosing end. bolth reaction times are close so it is plain and simple the rt will out run it stock to stock. rt runs 15 flat and the gt ran 15.20s. the clock dosent lie or cheat. plain and simple at a mile high.[sm=bicker.gif]

Quick Reply: Beat Bad!!