Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Water in the Nag1 Transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 01:58 PM
nlancaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in the Nag1 Transmission.

I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum RT. Ever since 8000miles I have had a recurring problem with water in the transmission. Multiple attempts to fix, including, new Torque converter, valve body, multiple ATF flushes. At 84k miles, out of warranty, it happened again. After convincing the dealer, with a test of the ATF that found 2% water in it. The dealer, and Dodge, stepped up and repaired it for only $500 of my money. But I think the did a half *** repair.

They replaced 2 clutch packs B2/K2, the Valve body, Torque converter, all new seals, and new dipstick tube. Everything I know about Auto Transmissions, and Aamco says the same thing, is that all the clutch disks will have some damage from the water in the ATF.

After picking up the car, the transmission started slamming into 5th gear, and sometimes not going into gear at all. They found that the ATF was burned up, 2 more clutch backs destroyed. They replaced 2 clutch packs K2 and B1, one of the brand new ones, flushed the valve body of debris, and only 8 of the 17 quarts of ATF in the transmission.

The first week of picking up the car, it seemed fine. Now in the last week, I have been having 50-100RPM increases in in RPM and a slight shudder when the RPM drops back down. This problem only happens when the car is cruising at 60-65mph, worse at 60mph.

My question is.

If the ATF fluid was burned up and full of debris from the damaged clutch packs. Could this be causing issues with the Torque converter? Possibly the Torque converter locking, and unlocking?

Old 05-07-2011, 01:54 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, TSB 21-03-008 sats water gets in from the DipStick tube seal. Chrysler wants you to replace Torque converter if necessary, clean valve body and flush trans.

However, these NAG1 trans are durable, but are pain in the *** when they do break, it is easier to just replace the whole trans. I think a Mopar reman one is like $2500 w/ 3 yr waranty.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:57 PM
Bob Myers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that with or without a converter?

Quick Reply: Water in the Nag1 Transmission.