Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

For Those Who Have Sound Systems in Your Magnums

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 05:06 AM
theoppositeofsuicide
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For Those Who Have Sound Systems in Your Magnums

Just curious how you guys have set up your sound systems in the magnum. How you ran the wires and grounds and all that type of stuff. Becuase I just put new speakers, head unit, e/q and an amp in mine and I am going to put another amp and some subs in the next few weeks or so. I ask becuase I am getting really bad engine noise when my car is running. No matter what i seem to do I just can't get rid of it. Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for it or for those who have systems with no engine noise hwo you have your setup. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:57 AM
jy211
Professional
Default RE: For Those Who Have Sound Systems in Your Magnums

what kind of engine noise? If it sounds like a whine, you may have a bad ground somewhere....

Old 08-18-2005, 08:18 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Look at my signature and you will see my install. I used power distribution blocks and ran the blocks directly to the battery. Easy way to find the noise is to pull the fuse on the amp that you have now installed. See if the noise is still there, as stated before if it is a whine that changes pitch with engine rev, you have a floating ground. The best way to ensure no noise is to run all ground leads to the same point. Also yo might be getting induction noise. This is when the signal cables are run too close to the power cables. If the cables need to cross, 90 degrees (+) is the beset way to do it. If you look on my webpage under "Wiring"you will see the power leads from the battery to the blocks to the amps via the bottom side. What you dont see is the audio cables coming from the top. This way there is no crossing or running the t leads together.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:24 AM
theoppositeofsuicide

Yeah it is a weird whine that changes when I step on the gas and stop. I have tried every ground point that I could find and still the same thing. It is grounded near the battery right now. I had it grounded under the seat before and the same thing happened. Where are your amps grounded?

Old 08-19-2005, 04:46 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

The power blocks go directly to the battery

Old 08-19-2005, 05:50 AM
theoppositeofsuicide

I don't understand. Do the power and ground wire both go to the block and then to the battery? I see in the picture that there are two brown and two red are the brown ground and the red power? If so do they all just connenct to the positive terminal of the battery?

Old 08-19-2005, 05:52 AM
theoppositeofsuicide

Ok never never mind I see what your saying now. Thanks for the help and for the pitures. I'll give it a try and see if that helps because I have a few blocks lying around.

Old 08-24-2005, 02:58 AM
Angry Pickle
Professional

BROTHER!!!

well, sort of

My sound systems has TONS of noise, but it's not speed dependent. Mine is there all the time.
Ongoing issue that I've given up working on for now. With my subwoofer I can set the crossover so that it filters out the noise (evidently doesn't occur below 150hz)...
I just power the regular speakers from the head unit...

some day when I don't feel like shooting the car, and it's not 103 outside, I'll try working on it again.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:51 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

PICKLE
hmm. The Alpine amp i have has a Subsonic Filter. What it does is kills below 50hz. Sounds like that is what is happening to your system. You might do a lil research on what the cause of the "subsonic" noise is. I am in the middle of the DVD deck install or I would do it. Also another thing I was thinking of, you dont have the input gain of the amp all the way up do you? Hope this helps a lil.

Old 08-24-2005, 03:43 PM
undropped
Veteran

i noticed some noise in my system due to shielding problems, the splices at the head unit harness were the culpret, also make sure you are using good high quality RCA's and run them as far away from you power wires as you can

Quick Reply: For Those Who Have Sound Systems in Your Magnums