Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Front end clunking

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 01:14 AM
schenk2826
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end clunking

2005 Magnum R/T, 196K, stock, no mods

I suspect this might have been addressed before, so if anyone knows where I can find it, much appreciated.

I have clunking in the front end. Had it originally where I could kind of feel the clunking under my feet. Replaced the swaybar bushings and linkages and seemed to do it. Clunk is back now.

I don't seem to feel it as much under my feet now. But, I had heard you could check the swaybar bushings by disconnecting the linkages and driving, just don't get crazy with the curves, etc.

So, thought I would do that as that is an easy fix if that is what it is.

I just did the upper control arms this summer, and they seem tight and the boots look good on them.

Suspecting it might be the tension strut bushings. Can they have new bushings pressed in or do you have to replace the whole arm?

Other thing I thought is maybe the lower ball joints? Never been done on the car (196K miles) so far as I know. Maybe it is time.

Doing the lowers I would suspect you need at least an alignment check after replacing. What about the tension strut, does that require and alignment? Does not seem to have any adjustments on it so guessing not.

Thanks,

Troy