Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Is the 2.7L on a magnum that bad?

Old 07-03-2018, 08:34 PM
Shanvhere
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 2.7L on a magnum that bad?

I read a lot stating how terrible this 2.7 is, and how much problems it has. I just passed 100k should I start worrying? I already done a lot of front end work.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:26 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Front end work has nothing to do with the engine. Did you buy it new? Has it been maintained per the factory maintenance schedule? What are the recommended maintenance tasks for the mileage you are at? Have you done them? Too many unanswered questions and too many variables involved to give you a difinitive answer.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:28 PM
draftingmonkey
Captain

As jkeaton has stated above, without knowing the maintenance history there is no definitive answer to your question.
But, of the known issues - oil sludge buildup, premature timing chain tensioner failure and water pump gasket leaking coolant into the engine and diluting the oil are, I believe, the only main issues with this series.
IF, all maintenance has been kept to schedule any issues should have been caught, more than likely, that may be a problem.
Keeping up on all maintenance per schedule is the most critical part for ANY engine to be kept running for the long term.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:48 AM
Shanvhere

Yes I know front end is not part of engine, and don’t know why I put it honestly.

but those issues are what I heard are the problem, so if I cantinue to keep up normal maintenance as I been I should be good then.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:41 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Every 2.7 LX in the junkyards here caught fire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the 2.7L on a magnum that bad?