Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

No highbeams

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 10:42 PM
MichaelAndrew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No highbeams

I have an 06 dodge Magnum 3.5 L have no highbeams everything else works on information I would be very helpful thank you

Old 03-02-2019, 01:28 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

operation is: the headlamp switch sends a signal to the cluster. the cluster sends a message via a communication bus to the front control module....the front control module powers the high beam.
check for power at the bulbs first; if no good, check for power at the front control module
there will be dtc set but you will need a scan tool that can access body codes.

check for battery voltage at the headlight bulb connectors
left side -white/ green wire right side-white/gray wire
-check for grd
left side black/ blue wire right side black/green wire

check for power at the front control module. c2 connector pins 7 and 12. you will need to back probe these wires with a t-pin or use a bed of nails.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:21 AM
MichaelAndrew

Originally Posted by primem
operation is: the headlamp switch sends a signal to the cluster. the cluster sends a message via a communication bus to the front control module....the front control module powers the high beam.
check for power at the bulbs first; if no good, check for power at the front control module
there will be dtc set but you will need a scan tool that can access body codes.

check for battery voltage at the headlight bulb connectors
left side -white/ green wire right side-white/gray wire
-check for grd
left side black/ blue wire right side black/green wire

check for power at the front control module. c2 connector pins 7 and 12. you will need to back probe these wires with a t-pin or use a bed of nails.
Thanks for reply, checked everything I could. Don’t seem to be getting power to the actual high beam fuses in power block under hood. All fuse seam good

Old 03-02-2019, 12:06 PM
primem
Record Breaker

do you have hids or halogen lights? This is not a police build correct?

Old 03-02-2019, 03:23 PM
MichaelAndrew

do you have hids or halogen lights? This is not a police build correct?
no it’s not a police build but does have aftermarket headlights, but factory bulbs. I just got the car and it didn’t even have bulbs in high beams, so I got new and nothing, checked fuses, good all other lights and signals work

Old 03-02-2019, 03:37 PM
primem
Record Breaker

there are 4 factory builds
police
hid
halogen
export
the factory diagram I have show fuses only for the factory hid system. the factory halogen bulb build has not fuses but is powered directly from the front control module.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:39 PM
MichaelAndrew

there are 4 factory builds
police
hid
halogen
export
the factory diagram I have show fuses only for the factory hid system. the factory halogen bulb build has not fuses but is powered directly from the front control module.
there halogen bulbs and my magnum has 2 fuses in power box marked rt highbeam, other has left highbeam both 20 amp. There both good even the high beam symbol works when in but no lights

Old 03-03-2019, 11:33 AM
MichaelAndrew

Originally Posted by MichaelAndrew

there halogen bulbs and my magnum has 2 fuses in power box marked rt highbeam, other has left highbeam both 20 amp. There both good even the high beam symbol works when in but no lights
but it does have an open spot for high intensity lights, an empty relay slot.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:10 PM
primem
Record Breaker

diagram would be nice but you can do this without
-if both fuses have power...check for power with a voltmeter at the bulb connectors. you should have full battery voltage. if no power, the wire from the fuse to the connector is open. locate the fault and repair the wire or run a new wire.

if you have power at the connector....put your voltmeter across the headlight connector one lead to the power wire...other lead to the grd wire...if the voltmeter reads OL...the grd is no good. If you have a test light you can use it. the bulb should glow bright.
test both sides.

if you have power and grd at both headlamp connectors and both bulbs are good....the problem may be in the connector sockets.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:57 PM
MichaelAndrew

diagram would be nice but you can do this without
-if both fuses have power...check for power with a voltmeter at the bulb connectors. you should have full battery voltage. if no power, the wire from the fuse to the connector is open. locate the fault and repair the wire or run a new wire.

if you have power at the connector....put your voltmeter across the headlight connector one lead to the power wire...other lead to the grd wire...if the voltmeter reads OL...the grd is no good. If you have a test light you can use it. the bulb should glow bright.
test both sides.

if you have power and grd at both headlamp connectors and both bulbs are good....the problem may be in the connector sockets.
thanks for all the help, finally got it figured out, a bad ground, this is a great site for magnum owners. I just replaced rocker arm assemblies on both sides of my 3.5 and coil packs ,plugs and plug seals, valve cover gaskets,so I’ll be asking more questions. Thanks again

Last edited by MichaelAndrew; 03-03-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: No highbeams