Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Finally Broke 2nd Gear Loose!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 05:41 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Broke 2nd Gear Loose!!!!

Hi there!

I just wanted to post that I have finally broke the wheels loose in dry conditions while going from 1st to 2nd Gears. This is something I have been trying to do since the day I got the car. So, it is true that your Magnum will increase in power as you put more mileage on it. I think that 27,000 miles was the magic number for mine. That was the last milestone that I passed before seeing it Break Loose in 2nd... Has anyone else had any luck breaking the tires loose in 2nd? Oh yeah, I broke them loose in 2nd while Tracktion Control was on too... I love this damn thing!

[IMG]local://upfiles/10346/9957BE44EC9744BDAC693FF72F080F1A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-28-2005, 08:15 PM
CarFinish
Rookie
Default RE: Finally Broke 2nd Gear Loose!!!!

Yup...put down a 40 foot strip...car shifted into second during it (possibly third)...temp outside was about 40 F...probably why. Traction control was off....the thing just would not stop spinning the tires....Yeah I love this car too!!
Congrats!!![sm=bounceybounce.gif]

oh yeah 22K on the clock

Old 12-28-2005, 08:34 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Car Finish,

That is way cool! But that is not what I am looking for. Your Magnum will shift into 3rd also, while in a Burnout. (had mine up to 90 MPH in the smoke cloud) A slight incline is perfect for these heavy cars to lay some serious rubber.

I want to know who has broken their tires loose going into 2nd, while moving at 40 MPH. I know this engine has enough torque to break um' loose in 2nd, it just feels like the computer is holding it back from going Wide Open...

And guys with Blowers... Any 3rd Gear Rubber? I would expect to break them loose at 70 MPH while going into 3rd gear with the Blower Set Up, or SRT-8, for that matter.

Please respond! And yes, I still love this damn thing!

Old 12-29-2005, 12:09 PM
shiltz
Captain

mines done it 3 times so far, I can't figure out exactly what let it do it those three times though, I was going full throttle, I noticed the RPM's go past the normal shift point and then it shifted into 2nd and chirped the tires, when it did shift it was a much harder shift than normal.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:09 PM
magrt

if mine thinks about 2nd gear in a burn out it bogs. no matter what rpm it shifts at, whith traction control off.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Grand Patron
Rookie

My trany is to slushy to even think about 2nd gear scratch.
Dam them Mercedes engineers.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:18 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Grand Patron,
Do you drive your Magnum like you stole it, all of the time? If not, your computer may think you want to drive sluggish. See my post about the Magnum having a Mind of it's own... I drive mine hard, very hard! Very few times does traffic get past the Crosswalk before I have completely cleared the intersection... Just last night I was driving home and saw this BMW pulll up next to me after we were at a light... This guy was SO pissed that his BMW got spanked by a Station Wagon (with 5 people in the car), and I got him good, by about 5 Full Magnum Car lengths. Now this was not one of the bitchen BMW's, but I can guarantee he paid more for his car than I did mine... (he was one of those ***** that tricks out their car for looks, I prefer sleepers...) OK, but back to the point. I too was noticing that my Trasmission was shifting sluggish, but I was driving like my Dad. So I started driving like a freaking maniac again, and 'Race Mode' came back. I figure the more ofter you drive it hard, the more often the car will start in 'Race Mode'... And I have never reset the Computer or Disconnected the Battery from Mile 5 (when I got the car)... Let me know what you think!

DodgeMech, any help here???

Old 12-29-2005, 02:22 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Shiltz,
Yup, that's it! I figure it was the computer releasing more power than normal. See my post on Magnum has a mind of it's own and tell me if you get the same results... And I forgot to place this in my last post, but don't fear... I STILL love this damn thing!

Old 12-29-2005, 03:57 PM
CarFinish
Rookie

ORIGINAL: 2005 Magnum R/T Hemi

Car Finish,

That is way cool! But that is not what I am looking for. Your Magnum will shift into 3rd also, while in a Burnout. (had mine up to 90 MPH in the smoke cloud) A slight incline is perfect for these heavy cars to lay some serious rubber.

I want to know who has broken their tires loose going into 2nd, while moving at 40 MPH. I know this engine has enough torque to break um' loose in 2nd, it just feels like the computer is holding it back from going Wide Open...

And guys with Blowers... Any 3rd Gear Rubber? I would expect to break them loose at 70 MPH while going into 3rd gear with the Blower Set Up, or SRT-8, for that matter.

Please respond! And yes, I still love this damn thing!
no not at 40 mph....but i will try it tomorrow...today it's raining. I'll report back soon. we'll see if this car has a mind of it's own. I had four people in my car one night and was knocking the car around... that thing pulls like a Rhino.

Old 12-29-2005, 03:58 PM
shiltz
Captain

Nope, haven't had stuff like that happen, mine actualy seems like it's always in a more agressive pattern, it's general quick to down shift and slow to upshift, like going around the curves on on-ramps to the highway it will just hold first or second (depending on how fast i'm actualy going) thru the entire curve when i'm not really into the throttle that much and just holding a constant speed, also it likes to lunge in stop and go traffic, it wasn't like that when I first got it though so i'm assuming it is because of the computer learning my driving habits.

Quick Reply: Finally Broke 2nd Gear Loose!!!!