Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Made a Sad Mistake

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 03:10 AM
pdjmwj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Made a Sad Mistake

Very sad ex owner of a 2005 Magnum STX fully loaded. Purchased 8/2004. Sold 12/31/2005. My only regret with buying this Magnum was that I did not buy an RT. Dreamed of trading it in everyday for an RT, wanted one soooo bad. So, to all who are thinking about a Magnum SXT and may want an RT, just do it. I filled the tank everytime and kept receipts. After 86 tanks of gas I averaged 20.395 MPG. That stinks when 28 is marked highway and that's all I did was highway miles. Best I every did was 23.552 mpg on a trip to Nags Head. MPG is no reason to get the SXT. I still loved this car though.

I digress, back to the story....

My father sold me a 2002 Toyota Avalon XLS with 39,000 miles on the clock for a BUCK. My wife was going to use it and we were going to sell our 2000 Grand Caravan with 100,000 miles. This dodge van has served us well also. Seeing that we would no longer have a van and still having many more years with teen age kids I came to the conclusion that we still needed a van. Traded the Magnum for $18,000.00 on a 2006 Honda Odyssey. Had to fight like hell for it. But bought the honda at the same dealer I purchased the Magnum at and did the last day of the year thing. I will always buy on 12/31 from now on. Best deal I've ever gotten. Just head towards the door.

My regrets. The Avalon is a great car but is boring as hell and feels like driving thin sheet metal. The Magnum was fun to drive and felt solid. Loved the looks. Came out of the mall the other day and could not find where I parked the Avalon, looks like every other car on the lot. Never had trouble finding the Magnum. Could spot it a mile away. I actually could not keep my eyes off it when walking up to the Mag. Thought I was going to wash the paint off it. Haven't washed and waxed a car that much since I owned my red 71 Mach1 as a teenager. The stock Boston Accoustics sound system was great compared to the JBL bull sh%@ that's in this Avalon. Plus, I'm only getting 23.5 mpg. Thought it would be better.

I feel the Magnum is the best looking when compared to the 300 and Charger. I truely hope to own an RT someday and look for them all the time on the road. I'm still coming to this forum just to read what you guys and gals are saying about it.

So, to all you Magnum owners, happy motoring.......

FYI: Anyone need stock OEM RT 18' rims with Conti tires. I got them off ebay and did not trade them. They have almost 11,000 miles. Perfect condition.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18006/F10EE8FBC06E4122994AAB53F4908D71.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/18006/95918A7A55C7440A8D7C1AECA1AE204B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Grand Patron
Rookie
Default RE: Made a Sad Mistake

The Avalon is a hell of a car, but boring.
That's why I bought the Magnum, attitude.

Good luck in the future.

Hey does your father got any other cars for sale?
(for a buck) LOL

Old 02-09-2006, 07:00 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

Dealer offered me a test drive in an SXT, as he had no RT's in stock at the time.

I said no thanks, I will be back when you get an RT.

I kept an eye on the dealer's inventory and when I saw an RT in Magnesium Pearl paint, I went for a test drive and bought my RT.

This was in June of 04', now have 15,000+ miles on it and have no regrets.

Bob

Old 02-09-2006, 07:26 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Man....

What were you thinking?

Old 02-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Redhouse
Rookie

I 2nd, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

I have had my SXT since 6/04 and since day one I have gotten between 26/28 MPG. Out here, it's all country highway. There must be something wrong with your receipts, something's not right. I don't regret not buying a RT. I will be trading in my Magnum for a Challenger or keeping the Magnum and my wife gets ride of her PT and drives the Magnum and I get a SRT Challenger. Since day one, my Magnum has been perfect, not one single problem.

Redhouse

Old 02-10-2006, 01:40 AM
pdjmwj

Hey Redhouse,

If I made a mistake I made it for 1 1/2 years. I tracked every fillup from the day I drove it off the lot until I drove it back. It's the 1st time I've ever done it. Asked the dealer many times to check things and all checked normal. Just figured that was the way it was. If I got mileage like your getting I know I would not have traded it in. Would have sold the Avalon instead.

I'm thinking fo doing the same thing, waiting until the Challenger comes out. That's a badd *** looking car.

Thanks for the reply.....

Old 02-10-2006, 05:20 AM
06MNRT
Professional

And then you do what I did. Buy a brand new R/T and test drive an SRT.

The 5 month old R/T got traded in verrrry quickly.

Old 02-12-2006, 02:22 PM
flapureromance

How much for the wheels and tires? You can laugh at me if you want, but will these work on an SE? I'm a brand new owner and hate the hub caps but couldn't afford the SXT or RT.
Thanks!

Old 02-12-2006, 04:49 PM
stboden
Rookie

They should work on the SE. Same car body just different options, but I believe everything in the wheel area is the same.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:39 PM
chief120865

I have an SXT and NEVER got the mileage stated above. Actually I get about 19 around town, 26 on the highway, with a best of 28 on the highway. RT is nice, but could not justify the additional $5K for the RT outfitted similiarly. I guess I get my HP kicks from my old Studebaker Hawk and Honda Valkyrie. Just my two cents. One thing I know for sure, I love this car, and it has been at least 10 years since something gets me going about a new car (last one was my '94 Taurus SHO...)

Quick Reply: Made a Sad Mistake