Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Fun with the Radio/Navigation Display

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 06:07 PM
jokerdog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun with the Radio/Navigation Display

My Magnum came equipped with both the factory DVD entertainment console and the XM/6CD/Navigation system and I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to feed the DVD video signal to the front NAV display. They are already connected somewhat since the audio can be piped through the car stereo speakers but If I could produce video on both the dashboard mounted NAV display and the DVD display in the center console, now there would be a trick. Could I be just a single S-Video cable run away from video bliss? If it could be done the applications could go way beyond simple DVD. I could connect a laptop to it. Then all you would need is a power invertor, a BlueTooth Keyboard/mouse, a Verizon WLAN card and your cruising the Internet through your dash. VOIP phone, email, streaming video, Live ODBII AutoTap software, the possibilites are endless.

Anybody know of any show stoppers on this? Sort of like the NAV display will only produce 256 colors or some b.s. like that. How about a wiring schematic for the Radio/NAV? Anybody have one?

I'm serious though. I have the power needs, PC and Video Kung Fu skills to pull this off. I just lack the Car Audio technology (mostly in the mode/channel switching dept) and wiring schematics. I'm not expecting to fully integrate with the Radio/NAV but a hard wired switch or button to toggle between a video feed and the normal radio/nav display may just be the ticket.

Of course this would only be used with the vehicle in park as everybody knows its illegal to operate something like this while your vehicle is in motion. That by god, would never happen

Old 03-01-2006, 04:10 PM
jokerdog
Default RE: Fun with the Radio/Navigation Display

So the technology is out there and its in the form of an inline module that goes between the NAV computer and the display. The problem with Chrylsers is the NAV computer and the display are the same unit.

The G-Net company makes the modules for several other vehicles and has a Universal type unit. I assume, and its a leap since I haven't pulled the NAV/Radio head yet that you would have to crack the case and figure out which wire did what.

http://www.gnetcanada.com/

Now I make that assumption you have to crack the case based on these guys claims..

http://www.tvandnav2go.com/rgb.html

They say they can pull this off on a Chrysler but you have to send them the NAV/Radio head so they can solder their module in place.

I've got no problems pulling the NAV/Radio head out of my car. Its the sending it to Brooklyn part that concerens me.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:44 AM
CHEMIGO
Default RE: Fun with the Radio/Navigation Display

Hey JD,
did you try this out? I would be interested in something like this.

I found your post while looking for ways to override the 'in-motion pause' for the Nav system.

thanx!

Quick Reply: Fun with the Radio/Navigation Display