Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Playing mp3 player on stock stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 01:21 AM
LLroomtempJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Playing mp3 player on stock stereo

Hi, i just got a 2005 dodge magnum se a few days ago. My stereo system is the stock am/fm/cd.

From the dodge website, I am certain that my radio has auxillary input capability (I would assume that the aux is for satellite radio if you choose to get it).

I do not care to install satellite radio, but, i would LOVE to be able to plug my mp3 player up to my stereo.

How do i get my stock stereo out so that I can figure out the best way to make this happen?

I'm really new to this, so a lot of detail would be appreciated.

ps- this is my first car.
pps- I have very limited knowledge of cars.

thanks in advance for your help.

In case anyone cares, here are pics of my plain-jane car (i've seen pictures from the custom thread, so this is definitely plain-jane):

[IMG]local://upfiles/31902/34DB6ECC854249FA97A42EB88D9E4E91.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-23-2006, 01:43 AM
chrisuscga01
Professional
Default RE: Playing mp3 player on stock stereo

hey man, welcome to the club. i dont think anyone has luck yet getting the MP3 player to work with the stock radios unless they did some upgrades in the newer models to the back of the unit. here is a site that you might want to look at http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/piechry02aux.html you want something like the P.I.E. piece. But i dont think it has come out for the magnum. I tried this one when i first got he car and it wasn't compatible with the magnum even though i think it says somewhere in there it was. You might want to call these guys up and see if they have the piece yet. Last time i talked to them, they were working on it. Very friendly people so dont hesitate to call.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:53 AM
RTPablo

AT the risk of sounding stupid, is there an 1/8" plug on the lower lefthand face of the radio? I just picked up the manual last noght for my 2006 RT. According to the literature and pictures, there is an aux in on the front of the 2006 radio. Depends what they did for 05 and the radio I guess. I am assuming that you did look there!

Pablo

Old 03-23-2006, 11:59 AM
kowalcs
Professional

If you've got the aux input on the front of your radio (looks like a headphone jack), all you need is a cable with a male headphone jack on both ends. It doesn't get any easier than that! You can get one from Best Buy for like $5. Plug one end into the front of your radio and one into the headphone jack of your MP3 player and you're good to go. Max out the volume on your MP3 player and control the volume from your car stereo. Good luck.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:08 PM
FlatEric
Veteran

I have had my radio out, no aux in (AM/FM 6 CD Changer, 2005 R/T).

So, I use this:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=186770

when I'm using my IPOD Mini.

Before I got the Mini, I had a generic MP3 player and used this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2355&CatId=193

Both work really well and works off the cig lighter, so no batteries to get weak or replace.

Have fun with your Magnum.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:09 AM
Charlie

My 05 Magnum with the 6 cd changer plays mp3's...I thought they all play mp3's with the cd player??

Old 03-25-2006, 03:09 AM
FlatEric
Veteran

They do, he was looking for a place to plug in an external player...

Old 04-24-2006, 06:05 AM
maha

I was trying to figure out a solution for this same issue when I ran across the Sirius S50 Satellite Radio/MP3 player. This thing Rocks!!!
Satellite Radio, MP3 Player all in one! Best part about this device is you can record live radio songs and shows with a touch of a button. Totally Awesome!!!

Old 07-07-2006, 04:39 PM
bbfd86

After trying numerous different cassette adapters for my mp3 player - the Magnum radio would not play the right stereo channel - I purchased the CTG Port Authority2 that FlatEric recommended. This units works perfectly in the Magnum and you can use it away from the car to play through any FM radio (it has batteries). The best price I fould incl. shipping was at Buy.com.

Thanks FlatEric!

Quick Reply: Playing mp3 player on stock stereo