Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Do RT's have a 4,000 rpm limit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 11:37 PM
RTPablo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do RT's have a 4,000 rpm limit?

Sorry, was driving. Missed that earlier post. Was blasting through some turns. Handles a little different than the F350 I traded in!

Old 05-07-2020, 09:08 PM
Gabriel Temple
Default 4,000 rpm limiter

[QUOTE=2005 Magnum R/T Hemi;425379]40 in 1st Gear

70 in 2nd Gear

113 in 3rd Gear

My '05 RT has done this since Mile 6... (on the way home from the dealer)

DC couldn't find tires to allow me to see what 4th Gear does...

Nice smooth computer controlled Auto Shut down at 127 MPH...

However, I have heard that the SRT-8 Models have the speed limiter removed, but the engine rev limiter stops it 172 MPH. 172 MPH!!!

[img]local://upfiles/10346/CE49994425D644A99B64833AECDB844E.jpg[/img][/QUOTE
I have a 2006 Charger SRT8 and my RPMs won't go higher than 4,000 in park. Is that normal? I remember my 06 Chrysler 300c srt8 did but it may have been shut off by a previous owner that added some upgrades.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:36 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts

First, I can't believe you necromanced a 14yr old corpse thread.
Secondly, yes that is normal. Not supposed to rev an engine that high or higher not under a load; why would you want to to do that? You trying to blow it up? Your 300 was messed with to remove that limiter.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:08 AM
Gabriel Temple

Originally Posted by Magnoom
First, I can't believe you necromanced a 14yr old corpse thread.
Secondly, yes that is normal. Not supposed to rev an engine that high or higher not under a load; why would you want to to do that? You trying to blow it up? Your 300 was messed with to remove that limiter.
Probably because I'm trying to figure out why my car won't run right! I bought it in november of last year and haven't been able to do anything with it since I got it and the 3 different Dodge dealerships I've taken it to can't fix it! So excuse the **** outta me for running across the one post I found about it!

Old 05-08-2020, 11:33 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Gabriel Temple
Probably because I'm trying to figure out why my car won't run right! I bought it in november of last year and haven't been able to do anything with it since I got it and the 3 different Dodge dealerships I've taken it to can't fix it! So excuse the **** outta me for running across the one post I found about it!
Triggered much lol
I am however insanely curious as to what line of troubleshooting led you to needing to rev your engine past 4000rpm in neutral or park....especially you haven't listed AT ALL what an actual problem is. Having a factory rev limiter when the car isn't in gear is not a problem lol.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:09 PM
Gabriel Temple

Triggered much lol
I am however insanely curious as to what line of troubleshooting led you to needing to rev your engine past 4000rpm in neutral or park....especially you haven't listed AT ALL what an actual problem is. Having a factory rev limiter when the car isn't in gear is not a problem lol.
Was already having a bad day and then got the news about my car and then got that kind of response so..... since I bought the car all it's done is stall out and run like crap since last November. The gas tank has been changed, the PCM has been changed the throttle body has been changed. Changed the coil packs and plugs twice. Chrysler said to tak back off the aftermarket stuff, coil packs and k&n air kit but I had the problem from day one with all the factory stuff on it. I swapped everything back last night but that's when I noticed the 4,000 limit deal. My truck will go way past that that's why I was wondering. I remember my 300c srt8 going past that too but oh well. Was just trying to figure out anything I could but looks like I'm stuck with a turd lawn ornament for $15,000!

Old 05-08-2020, 08:46 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

No STOCK American computer controlled vehicle (pretty much since the mid/late 90's) allows the engine to be revved past 4000 in neutral or park; that's no load free wheeling and you can f@ck it up royally doing that. It's not a defect, it's designed in; leave it alone. As for your stalling problem, are any codes present? Usually those symptoms are either fuel system problem like bad fuel; you said tank was changed, but did they bother to look at either fuel pump (accessible under the front seat)? Or could be an electrical problem like bad grounds, clapped out battery, weak alternator. LX's are extremely voltage sensitive. Did they bother to run a compression test?

Old 05-08-2020, 09:27 PM
Gabriel Temple

No STOCK American computer controlled vehicle (pretty much since the mid/late 90's) allows the engine to be revved past 4000 in neutral or park; that's no load free wheeling and you can f@ck it up royally doing that. It's not a defect, it's designed in; leave it alone. As for your stalling problem, are any codes present? Usually those symptoms are either fuel system problem like bad fuel; you said tank was changed, but did they bother to look at either fuel pump (accessible under the front seat)? Or could be an electrical problem like bad grounds, clapped out battery, weak alternator. LX's are extremely voltage sensitive. Did they bother to run a compression test?
Honestly I don't know if they checked that stuff. I was told the dealership changed the tank but the way they acted when I got the car back they just wanted to get rid of the car. They were kinda rude about the whole deal. Got the same treatment from my local dealership when they changed the computer and throttle body. I was wondering the same thing about the fuel pump recently but that was over 6 months ago now so they probably wont remember that.might call tomorrow. It seems as of right now it's running better since I put the factory coil packs back on and took the K&N filter back off. My 04 Avalanche will rev up to 6,000. I just did it once to check it yesterday after i saw the car wouldn't go past 4,000. It's all stock too with 87,500 miles. Has the 5.3 in it. 🤷‍♂️

Quick Reply: Do RT's have a 4,000 rpm limit?