Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Questions re new 2006 SXT AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 09:28 PM
MitchWaas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions re new 2006 SXT AWD

Hey all,

Brand new to these forums... 38 year old, real big guy from Fort Lauderdale FL. Was originally in the market to buy a new Honda Element, but found the engine pathetically anemic. Tried my 2nd choice, the Toyota RAV4, but found the seating to be pretty tight for me. Tested about a dozen other vehicles and during the process, I fell in love with the Magnum SXT AWD. I found the Magnum's combination of fuel economy, safety, and super cool looks totally irresistable.

I'm going to be going in and special ordering a fairly loaded 2006 SXT AWD in Black Crystal Pearl this Saturday, and had a few questions to ask, and will hopefully get a response before I goto buy on Sat.

1) Any problems with the self-sealing tires?

2) Any problems or issues with the load leveling and height control?

3) Are the power adjustable pedals worth getting? The model I test drove didn't have them, but I'm wondering if they really make much of a difference?

4) I would LOVE to get the Electronics Convenience Group, which seems (SADLY) to only be available on the RT and SRT8 models... sucks Does anyone happen to know if, since I'm special ordering this car anyway, Dodge will let me get it installed anyway? I'm hoping so, but haven't asked the dealer yet. I REALLY REALLY want the trip computer and info center... if it's a no go, might anyone know of a suitable aftermarket add-on I could use that handles this job adequately? I'm a TOTAL gadget freak and would love to have this on my ride!

Any other issues I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks!

Mitch =O )

Old 05-05-2006, 09:59 AM
RTPablo
Default RE: Questions re new 2006 SXT AWD

You won't get the self leveling suspension on the SXT either can you? I think it is and RT option as well? Not 100% sure about that.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:29 AM
kowalcs
Professional

What's keeping you from buying an R/T AWD? Price? MPG?
No problems with my self sealing tires, but once I need to replace them, I will more than likely get something else with better winter performance.
If MPG is keeping you from buying an R/T, keep in mind that I average over 20.0MPG on my R/T AWD.

Old 05-05-2006, 04:15 PM
MitchWaas

The self-levelling suspension is definitely available on the SXT... can't wait 'til Saturday!

Old 07-02-2006, 03:32 AM
czarofom

I have the SXT-AWD w self-sealing tires, load leveling and power adjustable pedals. These were all part of the package for which the dealer made a great deal for me in December. The tires are fine, but when they wear out I'll probably get something else because of the cost. They aren't great in the snow, but the car is AWD so it's not a problem. As for load leveling, I probably didn't need it so I can't tell you anything about it. Power adjustable pedals are very handy, especially for the shorter driver in the family who loves the car.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Silver bullit
Veteran

If you decide to go with the sxt your going to want more. You better off with the RT and the MPG is the same. I have the tow pachage and i have not had one issue. I have 36K on the car now and tow a lot . How big are you. If your not over 6 foot 6 and 240. your not that big. and you should be fine. i find the car a little tight at times to to my size. If your shorter but wieght more your going to fit fine as the seats will work well and the peddles are a must and you will get them in the RT-Group 1#2. My car has all options they only way to go is get it loaded and drive the mess out of it. The tires suck if you get the contiseals. Try and find a car that has the goodyears. the conti cups and when you first start up in for the frst 10 miles the tires ride like crap and then smooth out. The tires develope a flat spot in them. I had to replace a set of the conti seals at 15K due to the cuppingand they wore so fast that at 15k The tires looked like they had 56K on them .So again do yourself a favor and get the RT AWD with all the bells and whisles.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:01 PM
jokerdog

I have an '06 R/T AWD with the Hemi and all of the bells and whistels. Its loaded but I'm not sure it has the load leveling feature. I'm guessing yes but I'd have to check. When I bought it I attempted to get as many options as possible and I was looking at the list of things it didn't have.

On the topic of MPG. The sticker is a lie! My wife drives it primarily and the very best MPG we have ever seen on the "MPG display" is 16.5 MPG coming down hill back from Lake Tahoe to the San Fran Bay Area. We use premium fuel always and average about 14 MPG and we aren't all up in the throttle either. The old school calculations at the pump to determine MPG reveals roughly the same, about 14MPG always, plus or minus 1 MPG. Aggressive driving doesn't really seem to effect overall MPG either. Although I haven't beat on the thing for hours in a row, I do haul azz up Hwy 9 out of Sartoga California on a pretty regular basis. Its up Hill for almost 8 miles of 2nd & 3rd gear twisites (I have the sport shift option as well) and it got as low as 9 MPG once.

That said, the leather seats and the DVD entertainment center with the Boston Acoustic sound system rocks. The surround sound is the bomb for a stock system. I'm no afficianado so compared to my 2000 Dodge Ram its awesome and I didn't have to buy an after martket system. It could be louder though, I have a hearing problem..

The adjustable pedals are only worth it if your short. My wife is 5'4 and she keeps the pedals pretty high. I'm 6'0 and I drop them all the way down every time I drive it. My ankles cramp when I forget to adjust them before I drive.

No problems at 8K on the self sealing Conti tires. This, oddly is not an option I would have jumped at but it came with a package. They handle well at low PSI, I want to say they were at 27 PSI at delivery. A very plush ride at that air pressure and it handle exceptionally well in the twisties for a wagon. Airing up the tire to 34PSI added about 1MPG to the display, I didn't have a before an after for that "mod" using actual MPG calculations. I plan on buying a second set of wheels and tires that are more agressive for snowy conditions so if anybody out there has stock rims they are trying to get rid of, I'm interested.

Then you didn't mention this but the Navigation system is excellent. The route planning and route correction algorythms are the best I've ever seen. Its also a very intuitive system and easy enough to use after you spent a half hour going over the menus. The only thing that sucks is that its not voice activated. Its a major flaw because there is so much data in there that its hard to search for places by scrolling through alphabetical listings. If you can find your destination on a map it will get you there the fastest way so this is good enough for me. I'm not looking for random Chinese restaurants on my cars nav system but I would if I could talk to it.

The Merceded Benz traction control and ESP systems are incredible as well. I drive my Magnum to Lake Tahoe pretty much every day it snows more than 10 inches at Kirkwood Ski Resort. The car handles great in the snow even with the Conti's. You can't spin it with ESP engaged, the car just won't let you. It will disengage the throttle and spin and slow the individual tires to bring you back on track as advertised every time. I even tried to deliberatly spin donuts in the snowy parking lot and it just can't be done. Turn off the ESP button and before you can get your hand back on the wheel your spinning like a top. Which is pretty damn fun by the way. I had no idea donuts in an AWD would be so fun.

Speaking of snow, the air pressure sensors don't work to well in snowy conditions. I assume this is a passive system that works off the ABS sensors because when your wheels pack with snow the dash light complains about the air pressure. Kick the chuncks out and its back to normal. If I understand correctly the ABS is reporting a difference in traction between the 4 wheels and if one wheel is out of spec with the others it assumes the tire pressure is low.

The hands free blue tooth phone system is also the bomb. Luckily this system is Voice Activated and it gets the phone numbers straight 9 times out of ten.

Gotta go, my pot pie is done!

In short brother, get an R/T and unless your a huge fan of horsepower the 6 is plenty fast and I would bet the AWD would be better off with the lower HP. I like the HEMI though, there aren't too many AWD HEMI's around.

-Tory

Quick Reply: Questions re new 2006 SXT AWD