Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Jack the Bohannon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

So, my check engine light came on yesterday and after looking the car over, I think I figured out what may have caused it. The tether that holds the gas cap was wrapped up in the threads of the cap and probably causing a leak in the pressure system.

However, the light hasn't gone out. I've scheduled an appointment with the dealer, but it's not until next Friday.

My question is... would this be a cause for the light to come on? Would it normally go off after I fixed the cap?

I'm taking it in next week, regardless. Just want to ease my mind so I can enjoy the weekend!

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2006, 02:54 PM
customtronic
Default RE: Check Engine Light

Did you try disconnecting the battery for a little while? Alot of times if your light comes on and then you correct the problem you need to disconnect the battery for a little bit. My battery got a little weak once and it caused my check engine light to come on. After I disconnected the battery for about an hour the light never came back on. I'm not sure how long you need to keep it disconnected but one hour worked for me.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:53 PM
FlatEric
Veteran

I had that on my Passat when I forgot the gas cap. The book said the computer checks and if it sees a problem it turns on the light. If it sees the problem clear x many times (not just the first check) then it clears it. It checks on startup, so on mine, it was 3 or 4 starts and stops before it cleared, but it was the same day. The next time it happened, I just started the car a few times and it cleared. Never forgot again.

Could this work similar?

Old 05-19-2006, 08:48 PM
65standard
All Star

just pull fuse #11 for a few seconds to clear the MIL. if the gas cap was the cause and is now fixed, the light will stay off. if not, check the code to see what the cause is.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Jack the Bohannon

Luckily, it went off by itself after a $45 fill-up (ug).

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light