Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Question about child door locks

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 05:46 PM
RTPablo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question about child door locks

Doesn't it work that when the child locks are on, the doors cannot be opened from inside regardless of whether they are locked or unlocked. With the child locks disengaged, the doors will open from the inside, but you still have tp unlock them. My understanding of your post is that you have to unlock the doors, then you can open them from the inside. Try it. Set the child safety lock back to on, and you will see that even with the doors unlocked, you cannot open from the inside. Mine unlocks the doors automatically when I put it in park, so my doors are unlocked. If I have the child locks engaged, they cannot be opened even if unlocked.

Pablo

Old 08-24-2006, 11:54 AM
bossman284
Amateur

You are correct. I assumed that there was a way to have the doors automatically unlock when the car is in park, or unlock when the door handle is pulled. It seems neither is the case for my particular vehicle. In my case the driver has to use the power door lock button to open them or the passenger can pull the **** on the door prior to opening it. I realize it's a safety precaution but given that my only passengers are adults it would be nice if they could just pull the door handle to open the door.

Thanks to everyone for your replies

Old 08-24-2006, 08:06 PM
hipsterj
Professional

Yep, had the same question on my RT when new.
Dodge I guess does not have all the doors unlock when gear**** is put in park.
I also had hoped that you could open the doors from the inside when car is in park and/or engine off.
Oh well, love the car and kids/adults have adjusted.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:00 PM
dcl174

I have a similar problem in my '05 Magnum 2.7 liter. Couldnt afford the SXT. But anyways, I checked it out in the manual. It has nothing to do with the child locks. You can find out what you need to do on pages 18 & 19 under the Auto Unlock feature. If you are like me you have no idea what the EVIC is. If you dont know what that is you can enable or disable the Auto Unlock feature by:

1. closing all the doors and place the key in the ingnition.

2. Cycle the ignition switch between LOCK and ON and back to LOCK 4 times ending up in the LOCK position.

3. Depress the power door unlock switch to unlock the doors.

4. A single chime will indicate the completion of the programming.

NOTE: Use the Auto Door Locks and Auto Unlock features in accordance with local laws. HE HE HE!

Good Luck, I am going to go and try this on my car right now!

Old 09-14-2006, 08:28 PM
dcl174

I just went out and enabled the Auto Unlock feature. It works! What happens is when the driver opens the door all the other doors will unluck. Unless of course, the back doors have the child safety locks are on.

Quick Reply: Question about child door locks