Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Question about child door locks

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 11:45 AM
bossman284
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about child door locks

When I got my Magnum the rear door child locks were engaged. I threw the switch on each door, but my passengers still can't exit the vehicle unless they manually pull the **** to unlock or I use the power lock button up front. Am I correct in thinking that when the child saftey thing is disengaged you should just pull the handle and the door will open. Is there something else I'm missing?

Old 08-16-2006, 02:17 PM
god_complx
Professional
Default RE: Question about child door locks

Its been a long time since I was playing with the personal settings on the steering wheel, but I believe I remember seeing something in there to do with the child locks. If I get a chance today I will look, but try it yourself.

Old 08-16-2006, 02:53 PM
bossman284
Amateur

Thanks for the info, but I have a standard steering wheel...no seeting on it.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:44 PM
HemiNuts
Professional

What year is your magnum? What god_complx is saying is on your streering wheel you should have rocking buttons to work your radio, and check your auto systems. On the right should be a button with a symbol of a opened book, and the letter N in a circle. If you push the botton with the symbol of the book you will see under the speedometer a readout in which you can scroll around. There is a place to change the setting of your doors pertaining to locking and unlocking. I thought all Magnums had the same type streering wheel!

Old 08-17-2006, 01:42 AM
bossman284
Amateur

My magnum is a 2005. There are no radio controls on the steering wheel, in fact there are no buttons of any kind on the steering wheel.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:34 AM
Magmania
Veteran

ORIGINAL: bossman284

When I got my Magnum the rear door child locks were engaged. I threw the switch on each door, but my passengers still can't exit the vehicle unless they manually pull the **** to unlock or I use the power lock button up front. Am I correct in thinking that when the child saftey thing is disengaged you should just pull the handle and the door will open. Is there something else I'm missing?
Are you saying that there is a small switch on the insides of both of the back doors? If so, do they both function the same way i.e. does one allow you to just pull the handle and the other one does not?

Also I would think that in your manual it should cover this item and how it is supposed to function.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:43 AM
bossman284
Amateur

On each door there is a switch to engage the child lock. When engaged you cannot open the door from inside. I've disengaged each switch. Yet when you go to exit the vehicle, pulling on the door handle does not open the door. You have to first pull the *** to the unlocked position or unlock the doors from the driver's door master switch.

I assume, and I could be wrong, that the back doors should function like the front ones. When the car is in park and the doors are locked, pulling the handle will open the doors, but for some it does not.

The manual is useless as all it tells me is to throw those switches. It has a lot of info about what to do on the steering wheel controls, but like I said I'm not equiped like that.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:20 PM
god_complx
Professional

ok check this engage the child locks, can you open the doors at all from the inside? I think that is what the child locks do, not let anyone out from the back unless someone opens the door. I am not certain of this and as I have never had any use for the child locks, I think I remember seeing this somewhere.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:07 PM
bossman284
Amateur

That's exactly what the child locks do. When engaged they only allow the door to be opened from the outside or by the driver. I'm trying to disable this. When I throw the switch (which is located on the door) which is supposed to disengage the child lock the door will still not open from the inside.

The car is going to the dealer soon for some other things, so I'll let them straighten it out if I haven't by then.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:31 PM
mitsara

I understand what you mean, On the R/T you can change the settings so that when the car is turned off and you open the drivers door all the doors unlock. I'm not sure on the SXT but if you don't have that feature, i'm guessing you will have to unlock the doors by pulling on the ***** or using the power locks, i don't believe that has anything to do with the child locks on the rear doors.

Quick Reply: Question about child door locks