Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

AWD

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Tzar007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AWD

I live up in the Great North in Montreal, Canada. We got a lot of snow, ice and other s**t, so I should be the first one considering the AWD, but I am not. Properly equipped with very good snow tires, a RWD will do fine even in tough weather (same for the FWD, FWD even have some more traction in deep snow because they are directing wheels).

Of course, in severe weather, you have to adjust your driving, reduce your speed, increase your braking distances, and take care of not cornering too fast. But that's simply common sense that should be exercised even with an AWD. Too many people believe they are immune to accidents with an AWD, and first thing they know, they're off road in the ditch. People living with snow in the northern states of the US or in Canada know this fact very well. The biggest advantage AWD has is not really on the road itself, but rather when you are stuck somewhere in deep mud or snow. Then AWD wins hands down, and properly driven will go into places that RWD or FWD can only dream of. But as far as regular driving is concerned on public roads, it does not make much a difference.

Personally speaking, the loss of performance and bigger price tag outweighs the advantages of getting the AWD over the RWD. But that's just me

Old 09-06-2004, 03:13 AM
kazinvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AWD

I'm also from Canada, but out west in Vancouver. I'm debating the RWD/AWD thing right now. I go skiing a lot in the Winter, and the conditions up in Whistler can be crazy at times. It's not uncommon to get stuck in the parking lot after a long day on the slopes. I think AWD would be great for these times, but then I have to ask myself it's worth the extra cost (both the option and the daily cost in terms of gas). Last year I had a 4X4 Dakota so I didn't care, this year may be different.

Mike