Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

AWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 12:20 AM
outnumbered
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD

Just read the article in USA Today on the Magnum, and they are saying that the AWD version will be released in August with mpg coming in at 17/23. They say that 38% of the power will be shifted to the front wheels under all conditions. Sure would be nice if this were true. AWD would work very nicely with a supercharger!

Old 07-03-2004, 12:23 AM
redriderbob
Banned
Default RE: AWD

Read the Dodge magnums in the Snow topic in this forum!

redriderbob

Old 07-03-2004, 02:20 AM
phantom505
Professional

I think an AWD will be more of a hinderance than a help. For one thing we already weigh too much. Another thing is I don't know too many AWD systems that could handle the 600 crank HP that the HEMI could possibly get by going to 12psi. It would help on the road a bit, and it will get some sick 60' times, but in the end I think a nice big rear axle with about 3.55 ratio is what the doctor ordered. We aren't ricers.... we have WAY too much torque to try to pull crap like a Stuipra (which if you notice can't get power the ground anyhow).

Personally I'll stick with the RWD (not that I have much of a choice ).

Old 07-03-2004, 02:24 AM
CACWBY

I too am conflicted about this. Moved here to Wisc. 14 years ago from CA, and they do take winter seriously here in the upper midwest. I have had AWD and found it is possible to slip and slide just like regular FWD or RWD, however I did feel that it was less likely to happen in 90-95% of conditions. MY worst experiences (FWD & RWD) have been sliding through intersections instead of stopping (even with ABS-though that is a big improvement)- and found that this could be cured with good mud & snow tires. And I know I see lots of Lincoln Town Cars driven year around and they are RWD - so I'm thinking -why wait? I currently drive FWD Sable wagon, but My wife has a 4wd Ranger- so when theres a day or two of really bad roads we use her's.

Old 07-03-2004, 10:31 AM
dansk

My wife is adamant about waiting for the AWD option because she has had problems in our driveway and up our road with her FWD Mercury Sable. My personal feeling is that I would rather take my chances with the RWD model and it's traction control system. The mechanic at our dealership says that the RT transmission and suspension is basically Mercedes 300 class components that are being phased out of Mercedes cars so they have plant capacity to supply chrysler with what they need. It worries me that the RT engine has much more power, and the Magnum car much more weight, than the mercedes designers intended when these components were designed. I think that adding AWD will just make matters worse. The good news is that I haven't heard of anyone breaking anything and I think that there are plenty of owners doing hole shots with their new rides. If you talk to any salesman, it seems that they all attended a test drive with the RWD models where DC had the cars going up a slope that was slicked down with soapy water. The Magnums made it up the grade, starting and stopping, whereas some FWD models could not. For the 1-3 days of winter that we might have a potential problem, I'm willing to save the $2000 that AWD would cost, get 2 MPG better mileage year round, and let my wife take our 4WD truck to work that day. Too bad you can't get the Magnum with posi, that would settle everything. I guess it won't work with traction control???

Old 07-03-2004, 01:03 PM
phantom505
Professional

Sure you can use Posi with traction control. I have a preloaded slip differential with on my Grand AM and it has a similar traction control system. If one wheel never spins more than the other then there is no need to apply the break or gear down.

BTW, I get the feeling the AWD pacakge will be a tad more than just $2k.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: If nobody comes up with a Posi unit/larger axel/computer tune in a reasonable amount of time... say by next Spring, that is really the only major mod I'm willing to research and do. So I can almost asure you that it will be out sometime......

Old 07-07-2004, 06:50 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

Last I heard the package was $3K and 300 additional pounds. As to driving RWD in Wisconsin, I was a police chief there for a few years and I had nothing but RWD cruisers (Ford Crown Vic) and not one wreck related to snow or ice. It is more a matter of getting used to how RWD responds to such conditions. I suspect for those of us in our 30's (and older) who grew up with 4WD and FWD cars being the exception rather than the rule, the transition was much easier though.

Old 08-30-2004, 11:56 PM
joseph
Rookie

Wouldn't an AWD system with constant power distribution (38%F & 62%R) help plant the car on the road if we get near 500HP with the addition of a supercharger?

Old 09-02-2004, 01:44 AM
joseph
Rookie

Any suggestion on wether to go RWD or AWD if I supercharge it in the future.

Old 09-02-2004, 12:50 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

I prefer the rear wheel drive, since I live in Florida.

If I was back in Illinois, I might be tempted to get the AWD.

I lived up north for over 58 years and got by just fine with the RWD, of course having snow tires helped.

Been through too many snow storms, that's why we are in Florida.

Getting ready for Hurricane Frances

Bob