Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Stupid ESP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:12 PM
FamilyWagon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stupid ESP!!

lol, is this my wife??

Im, good, and i know when, where and how much to play. thank you

Old 10-04-2006, 10:15 PM
PhilAnder

Would no ESP help you to run faster times at the 1/4 track?

Old 10-04-2006, 10:24 PM
HemiNuts
Professional

Actually I don't think so! 65Standard could answer that better. With ESP you are less apt to have tire spin which could cost you time!
I haven't run my car on a track so I'm not sure.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:58 AM
Dakota_24

ORIGINAL: FamilyWagon

lol, is this my wife??

Im, good, and i know when, where and how much to play. thank you
Let me tell ya something. My cousin is the same type of person you are. Thinks since he's got a sports car; he can do anything he wants; no matter what happens. He bought an '03 Olds Alero with Traction Control back 3 months ago. He wrecked it 2 weeks ago when he decided to shut it off, and showed off at the wrong time. He slid while turning a corner while racing when it was raining. He slammed into a parked car. Now he's car-less. His insurance cancelled him, because they found out his Traction Control was shut off and that he was racing. He hasnt changed any because as I said earlier...he thinks he can do anything he wants and its no sweat off his back, but he just helped raise my rates and yours...Thats why I drive when ever we get together! Im not saying Im a perfect driver, but I know when and when not to speed and show off. I know my limits. If you have it turned off you are showing people that you dont care as my cousin did.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:12 PM
FamilyWagon

well, traction controll or no, he will develop a severe understeer and FWD is not good in a 'push' turn.
I dont race. i drive how i like when there is no-one around. and not in bad weather.

And to awnser the ESP drag time, its not the ESP that makes a difference, but the torque management and shift times that will pick up speed by removing it. if you knotice how a stock magnum shifts soft, its because torque managment retards your time to get a gentle shift. but to add to that if you do slip a bit, the ESP kicks on the Anti-locks, AND torque management. thus the point i want to be able to TURN IT OFF!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Junior5290
Rookie

ESP helps traction wise, and to control vehicle roll. To disable it you can pull the pump motor fuse but will set codes. I heard disabling it increase strip time due to tire slip. As for the soft shifts thats the concern of the TCM and PCM to decide how hard and when to shift. What happens when you spin on take off, you loose traction, MPH and drag time. So what if ESP kicks in preventing you from slipping, it helps put the maxium amount of torque effectively to the ground. The best thing todo then would be to put some drag tires on it and it wont slip, meaning no ESP activation. ESP was created for the "I can do anything with my car" attitude. Thats why you cant disable it even though it has an off switch.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Dakota_24

I've got a question...if you are so TECHNICAL; why cant you figure out to shut your ESP off? This is why I dont believe a thing you say!
ORIGINAL: FamilyWagon

well, traction controll or no, he will develop a severe understeer and FWD is not good in a 'push' turn.
I dont race. i drive how i like when there is no-one around. and not in bad weather.

And to awnser the ESP drag time, its not the ESP that makes a difference, but the torque management and shift times that will pick up speed by removing it. if you knotice how a stock magnum shifts soft, its because torque managment retards your time to get a gentle shift. but to add to that if you do slip a bit, the ESP kicks on the Anti-locks, AND torque management. thus the point i want to be able to TURN IT OFF!

Old 10-05-2006, 08:46 PM
FamilyWagon

i cant do it myself because i dont have the computer tools to do it. like i care if you dont belive me. i used to work on cars at a dealer, so i know that there are some guy that know their way in and out of PCM and ECM's but thats too compuer geek for me. I have buit and toyed with cars for years. So if some dude i dont know talks crap of me, i really could care less. i know my skills, mechaical and driving. as far as toy, i currently have a 95 4X4 chevy S10 witch i put a 96 Covett LT1 in and rebuilding a 69 firebird with my father. Currently im a Air Force C5 Crew Cheif. Aircraft wise, i am currently upgrading all of the active-duties' C5B's into our Reserve compnents and intagrating them to our standards of flight safty, since active duty no longer has the technical knowledge on up keep of this massive aircraft. So MR Dakota, go ahead and talk crap. enjoy you controll enthused life, ive been enough places and see enough to know that i enjoy my freedom.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Junior5290
Rookie

Its not possible to completely disable ESP and keep the LX functioning properly. Teves Modules are not flashable. Maybe an add on, but not by changing the software in the Module.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:16 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

I believe with the ESP On you will get better 1/4 mile times, due to Wheel Spin with it Off. I remember reading a thread of a guy who went to the track. 1st Run was with the A/C on! Opps... But he said the best time he had was with ESP On. He tried it several ways... But, man, is this thing FUN with the ESP Off! Best part of the Car is that Little 'Mr. Squiggly' Button on the Dash that allows you to use it like it was made for... DC just had to install it to get it on the road, that's all. But at least they had the smarts enough to let us turn it off for the Off Road Fun! Thanks Guys! (Be sure to do the same for the Challenger with the Stick!)

Quick Reply: Stupid ESP!!