Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Rear End Gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 03:20 AM
phantom505
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear End Gears

If you launch evenly you won't get one tire fire either. So that's not that reliable. Anyway, still working on it.

Old 08-03-2004, 03:46 AM
speedyguy

The limited slip was a limited slip before the "style used by Dodge/Plymouth was badged the sure grip. the dodge 4X4s were also some of the first trucks with serious lockers. to this day the Chevy trucks still use limited slips on there trucks . Disappointing.

Gearing if from a 3.5 based magnum with the transmission upgrade would be the best bet. I am supposing that a call to a friendly dealership can get the answer. I have a friendly gm dealership and they will fax full info and schematics wherever I want. I am sure somewhere there is a worthy dodge dealership willing to dig.

The transmission is going to need a performance option anyway but it won’t be needed until the sc becomes more common.

Ty

Old 08-03-2004, 12:22 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

Sorry for calling it "posi", I have been around GM products too long.

If our stock gear is 2:82, wouldn't we need a different carrier to go to any gear bigger than 3:23? Or am I showing my GM roots again?

I am guessing that a gear between 3:42 and 3:73 would be perfect ratio.

I had 3:73 gears in my 96" Impala SS and it was great.

Now a MoPar man.

Bob

Old 08-03-2004, 03:55 PM
69RoadRunner
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MagnumRT

Sorry for calling it "posi", I have been around GM products too long.

If our stock gear is 2:82, wouldn't we need a different carrier to go to any gear bigger than 3:23? Or am I showing my GM roots again?

I am guessing that a gear between 3:42 and 3:73 would be perfect ratio.

I had 3:73 gears in my 96" Impala SS and it was great.

Now a MoPar man.

Bob
You wouldn't necessarily need a different carrier. I know in old Mopar 8 3/4 and Dana 60 rears you can just change the gears to get a different ratio, but I don't know about the Magnum.

Keep in mind that the RT has a 5 speed tranny whereas the V6 models have a 4 speed tranny. When you combine the first gear ratio in the tranny with the rear gear ratio, the RT has a lower (numerically higher) gear ratio than the V6 models. I believe second is also lower with the RT.

I'd wait for someone else to go through the pains of getting a gear change to work, particularly if this is your daily driver.

I'd love to put some low gears in my Road Runner, but in the future, I'll be driving it to the Mopar Nats in Columbus, OH from VA. I'd need to put a Keisler 5 speed overdrive manual transmission in it, and that's over $3500. They're supposed to display a bolt-in automatic overdrive at the Nats this year (8/13-8/15), but I'm sure it will be over $3000, too. I guess I'll just put a 3.23 sure-grip in it.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:33 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

I am not going to change gears in my RT, I just wish that the factory had done so. But they have to worry about corporate mileage and rules.

I did too many mods on my 96' Impala SS and regretted it later, spent over $5000 to make it faster. It sure was a blast to drive through the mountains, just floor it and get in the passing lane. Move over slow pokes.

Coming down the mountain roads was fun also, just put it in a lower gear and save the brakes.

Love my RT.

Bob

Old 06-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Uber M3

Have you changed teh gears out yet???

If so how difficult was it? What size did you go with? And, where did you get them?

Old 08-08-2005, 09:04 PM
ja_worth

Some thought on the gear changing issues.

Changing tires to a lower cross section such as a 40 series tire reducing the diameter/ circumference is an excellent way to increase the effective gear ratio as some others have mentioned. This is especially true if the computer(s) can be easily reprogrammed to recognize the new tire size and the speedo gets corrected accordingly.

If the ring gears for the v6 and the hemi are different diameters then they are not interchangeable. Otherwise, the part numbers for the key differential components are likely to be the same. At a minimum, the carrier bearings, and pinion bearings should be the same. Next, the carrier and axles should be the same but may work if used in combination.

The 3.90 gear ratio parts will be weaker than the 2.82 components if they include the same diameter ring gear. This is because the 3.90 gears have more, therefore, thinner teeth than the 2.82 counterparts. Other than this, the materials used in production cars are designed to wear well, not withstand high impact loads. These materials are cheap and heat treated to get the wear characteristics.

Old 08-09-2005, 03:25 AM
Husker
Professional

First of all the gears will not fit from and SXT to an R/T, they are different size by I think a little over an inch. Maybe just replace the entire axle..
Also the traction control system is what give the R/T (or SXT) the two tire marks when you break traction with the system off, remember even with the system turned off, it is still functioning some. If you pull the fuse and spin tires you will only get one single tire to spin. So it is an open carrier...

Quick Reply: Rear End Gears