Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

PCM Failure---help this mom understand--please

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 05:00 PM
rule62
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PCM Failure---help this mom understand--please

I've been having problems with my 06 3.5 Mag, purchased a month ago at Tempe Dodge. A myriad of dash warning lights, and chimes. Car was cutting off at idle and under hard accel. First the TCM (trans control mod) was replaced. Problems came back. Just yesterday they replaced the PCM and the oil pressure sending unit. 45 miles later = no problems.

I'm not old (33) but I'm "old -school". To me... PCM, TCM, etc are all mysterious "little black boxes". I hope for both of our sakes that the new PCM permanently resolves the issue.

Good luck.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:27 PM
mommasride

Wow---I think i might be hysterical if my car was that new w/ problems. I have driven about the same as you w/ my new PCM and it does run better. I think I blew off the rough idle, thinking it was just the colder weather. ...Learned a big lesson at the dealer/shop. that is if I want real info, talk to the shop forman or tech, not the service advisor. Actually, today I was getting an oil change at a Jiffy lube and got a real lesson on induction (after they were "selling" that to another customer) I asked about it. It's hard being female and attempting to take care of a nice car and not get taken advantage of.

Good luck w/ yours------I think after the pain of being serviced, it sure feels great to drive it---i love my mag!!

Old 10-28-2006, 05:54 AM
rule62

Yeah, I almost flipped out! I've put 100 miles on her so far with no event. I hope it is resolved.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:07 PM
anauditor

We've had the "check engine" light come on several time since we've owned the car - about 18 months now. Usually the next fill up took care of it (ie: loose gas cap). However, the problem seemed persistent of late.

Well ... it took four appoiintments. The last one lasted ten days, and the tech finally found a combination of two hardware pieces (read sensors) and a few pinched wires in the harness. Apparently, the LX cars do have a history of problems in this area. Anyway, I have to congratulate the folks at Bankston in Frisco, TX for keeping at it and finally resolving the problem. The mechanic probably lost money on the deal. And, the dealer had me in a rental car for all this time.

Hope that your isn't that serious. But keep at it, and they'll fix it.

Good luck,

Old 11-03-2006, 07:09 PM
strippedhemi
Veteran

You will get a rough or even engine completely stalling if you overfill the gas tanks. Never add more after the shutoff valve turns on. I had this problem everytime i filled up. I used to fill it as full as I could get it. The fuel goes into the purge valve thru the tank valve (rollover valve) and causes all kinds of missfiring issues until the fuel level in tank goes down. Apparently overfilling causes the rollover valve to fail. My dealers fix was to replace the tank because the valve is not servicable. Its a known problem, so if you still have problems you might have them check it out.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:21 AM
mattready

i have read on another forum about the gas tank valves allowing fuel to build up in the evap canister....then the computer purges the canister allowing a blast of fuel into the engine causing a stall. if you want more info let me know....i'll post more.